sleeving colour

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I observe that the electrician :eek: who connected the control systems on my gas boiler has used 3-core flex instead of 3+E or Boiler cable

he has used the G/Y core for signalling :mad: not as a CPC

(CPC is present on a single core)

I think I will put heat-shrink sleeving on the G&Y that is not CPC

the other cores are blue and brown, what is the conventional colour I should use for the third core?

Sponsored Links
Call him back & politely but firmly request that the installation is made compliant.

I don't want him back. It took him several attempts to get it working.

It was done over a year ago and I have given up with the installing company.

Sponsored Links
Replace the cable?
The official colour for a phase is brown so even if you end up with brown, black, grey, blue you need to ID the cables correctly.

what colour is 3+E these days? I used to have red/yellow/blue

Brown, black, grey usually.
You'd need to sleeve the black with brown sleeving and grey with blue sleeving.

Can't I just sleeve the G&Y with grey? The flex he has used has Brown, Blue, Green/yellow cores.

I think if I do re-cable it (I probably won't) I'd get some 12-core or whatever it is boilers use. He has three 3-core flex and one 3+E going in the duct from the boiler, up to a wiring centre in the airing cupboard on the next floor, where there is 1x Cyl stat, 1x pump, 1x 3Port valve.

I could do it myself, but can I be bothered taking the floor up?

JohnD said:
Can't I just sleeve the G&Y with grey?
Grey isn't the colour to use as a phase in a single phase installation, it is brown.
Personally I wouldn't, it is shoddy workmanship.
Can you use the existing cable as a pull wire?

Shoot the idiot!
G/Y is only EVER allowed to be a CPC/Earth

Does that not refer to the colour, or with Single core G/Y cable.

Not that I would do it, but I read the regs,That you can colour oversleeve the core in flex or multicore, but not number it.

not easily :( it goes from the boiler connection block into a duct, up one floor, through some joists under the bathroom floor, through wall, up through floor of airing cupboard, into wiring centre.

If I verify which G/Y cores are L or S/L, and sleeve them in brown at each end, that would at least be an improvement, wouldn't it?

That refers to colour. The inner core of a T&E is single insulated hence must not be used as a live conductor, however as JD stated it was flex I assumed it was G/Y sheathed.

If I verify which G/Y cores are L or S/L, and sleeve them in brown at each end, that would at least be an improvement, wouldn't it?

Nah, still poo workmanship. You'll never change my mind on that one ;)

no, I meant it was 3-core flex, with brown/blue/green&yellow cores, and white oversheath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back