sleeving colour

:cry:

well I won't leave it as G/Y at the terminations, whatever you think

Sponsored Links
Change the cable, you know you need to :LOL:
Or look to see if there are any doubled up or spare cores you can use which are not the CPC.

For control circuits and other applications you can still use red or basically any of the colours similar to a honeywell valve.
Or in table 51

Sponsored Links
No, but I cannot see where in the regs it says the G/y in flex cannot be Oversleeved as a Live.

I agree the best way is not too though, but were does it say that. :)

I'm pretty sure it is in there that G/Y must only ever be used as a protective conductor.

I thought that, but the more you read it, it appears it refers to singles, and that providing you sleeve both ends of flex it is ok.

I think its due to you cutting a single earth and getting a shock, where as you are unlikely to cut a flex as there is a live in there already.

OK - you made me walk downstairs for the red book!

514.4.2 says that a green and yellow shall be used exclusively for a protective conductor.
Basically when it is being used as a PEN it should have blue attached to it (514.4.3). We only generally see PEN in DNO territory which doesn't fall under BS7671.
We are not allowed to use PEN without permission from the secretary of state (ESQCR).

It's there in black and white ;)
(PEN or Protective Earth and Neutral is basically TN-CS btw.)

514.4.2 says that a green and yellow shall be used exclusively for a protective conductor.

Refers to the identification colour, imo you must not use the colour to oversleeve a live or neutral or pyro multi cores etc .

Also why the second paragraph specifically saying not to oversleeve Single core cables.
I do agree its not the best thing to do though.

The first part says "The bi-colour combination green-and-yellow shall be used exclusively for the identification of a protective conductor and this combination shall not be used for any other purpose".
This means to me that using a G/Y for any other purpose is a big no.

Not entirely sure where the 2nd paragraph is going.

He has three 3-core flex and one 3+E going in the duct from the boiler, up to a wiring centre in the airing cupboard on the next floor, where there is 1x Cyl stat, 1x pump, 1x 3Port valve.

You mean he's used flex as part of the fixed wiring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back