slightly bent tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

in the middle of rejuvenating my central heating and moving the h/w cylinder. I accidently leaned the disconnected tank forward onto the drain valve and bent it. There is no leak but is it likely to have been weakened (more so when I straighten it no doubt!) and will the tank have to be replaced. It's an indirect, vented type.

thanks for reading,

pres

Sponsored Links
If it isn't leaking, then it's probably ok. It would be safer if you didn't try to unbend it - this is more likely to weaken it further.

Just keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks.

If it does need replacing, I have recently removed one (900 by 450mm) from my own house when I had a combi installed. It was in use for about 9 months, bought from new, and was a short term replacement as the last one that we inherited when we moved in failed due to age. If you live in Manchester or within a reasonable radius, I would be willing to sell it to you for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Email me if you are interested. If I don't hear from you by, say the end of July, I'll assume yours is fine and will ebay it anyway.

bend it back, copper is quite malleable, technical term for soft. ;)

Thanks for the prompt and encouraging advice. I'll give it a try and see. Lesson learned! I'll stick to leaning on my shovel in future.

cheers
pres

Sponsored Links
bend it back, copper is quite malleable, technical term for soft. ;)

Since we don't know how bad the bend or buckle is, am not sure I agree with this. I foresee the op getting a bit overconfident and ripping the tank wall.

Am struggling to reply to your message, so will try adding you as a friend and try again when you confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back