Slightly Stiff motor on Riello G7X Boulter Camray Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read other threads on these burners and not wishing to gate crash them I would appreciate some advice on the following.
The motor shaft on the boiler is slightly stiff to turn by hand. When turning on the boiler there is a buzzing sound as the fan struggles to turn. By giving it a flick (as oilman had commented on another thread to test the capacitor) the boiler would kick into action (after a few attempts of flicking). The boiler continued to restart itself throughout the night as HW and CH was demanded. This morning however the boiler struggled again and locked out. The flicking process worked again. I have my suspicions that the motor may require new bearings or replacing but before I do that I would appreciate if the above is a common symptoms of the capacitor and or pump coupling ? I have already removed the motor and replaced it but not yet stripped it down to check inside.
I would like to replace the boiler for a more efficient external floorstanding one asap but just do not have the funds for this. Any help and advice to get this one back on track would be very helpful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
These motors need to be easy to turn to get them going - the capacitor starts the motor in the correct direction. Without it the motor oscillates at 50Hz.
The motors get very hot, and the lube inside the bearings dries out which makes them stiff. The bearings are cheap and simple to replace, if you don't want to replace the motor, and you can get them from a bearing factor - but take the old ones with you for a match. If it was mine, I'd go for new bearings and a new capacitor just to make sure. Try heating-parts for a cap, or complete motor.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back