Slightly strange fluorescent light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a number of light fittings in an office environment which consist of two 'U' Shaped tubes in each fitting. We managed to get hold of some replacement tubes and fitted them where needed but one new tube still won't light. I thought it would likely be the starter but these fittings do not have a standard cylindrical starter, there is a choke and another rectangular encapsulated plastic device with two wires coming from it, I assume that this is another type of starter but a search on the internet doesn't show anything similar, anyone any idea if this is in fact a starter and where I can get replacements?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sure you are not mistaking a capacitor for a starter?

Hi Tim,

No I don't think so, there seems to be two chokes, two of these possible starters and one cylindrical capacitor per light fitting

Sponsored Links
Thanks 333Rocky333, it looks like a Vivatronic starter is what I need - just a case of tracking one down now

They are hard to locate now, and were about £20,

Google "Bernlite" they may still have some, they are in watford, but trade

only though.

Thorn G69658 BP, for 15 to 30 watt lamps, Bernlite ref no Thorn 30 SFES 69673

Thorn G69577 B, for 30 to 125 watt lamps, Bernlite ref no Thorn 125 SFES 69675

They were Thorn items before they became part of GE

The easiest option is to,

Cut the two wires, drill 2 holes approx 4mm diameter and fit a

standard clip in two lug, side mount, starter holder approx £3 for 5

from RS and fit a bg efs 600 electronic starter approx £2each .

Hmmm.

I'm not sure that modifying electrical fittings to a non-standard spec is a good idea in a commercial environment - I can see all sorts of liability issues....

Hi

if the original poster still has issue's, i have 2 THORN G69577.B Vivatronic Starters which i was just about to put on eBay (i came across this thread via google when looking for some tech info to put in my auction).

so if they're required, i would happily sell them (via a paypal payment) for £12 for the pair with FREE postage (allow 2 days for delivery)

hope this helps.

(and i haven't contravened any rules by stating this)

JM

hi mate im very interested in your starter motors.im in need of 5 tho do you no where we can source another couple for cheap.cheers

if the original poster still has issue's, i have 2 THORN G69577.B Vivatronic Starters which i was just about to put on eBay (i came across this thread via google when looking for some tech info to put in my auction).

so if they're required, i would happily sell them (via a paypal payment) for £12 for the pair with FREE postage (allow 2 days for delivery)

hope this helps.

(and i haven't contravened any rules by stating this)

JM[/quote]

But why dig up a 12 month old thread.

If you look at Jonnymoons profile you will see that he has done nothing on this forum for a year so he may not even look.

Why not click on his name and ask him to add you as a friend. Then you will be able to send him private messages!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back