slowing bath water at the outlet point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bath drains through a 40mm pipe into a hopper and then down the drainpipe and into the drain on the drive. It has some bricks around the drain to prevent leaves blocking it.

The problem i have is the speed of the water flow when it empties is too fast for the drain on the drive and so the water spills over and floods the drive every time we have a bath.

Is there a push fit device i can fit onto the end of the 40mm pipe which goes into the hopper and will act as a brake on the water flow ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There are these things called union ball valves used for ponds but don't know if they would fit a 40mm bath waste

Our bath drains through a 40mm pipe into a hopper and then down the drainpipe and into the drain on the drive. It has some bricks around the drain to prevent leaves blocking it.

The problem i have is the speed of the water flow when it empties is too fast for the drain
?
does drainpipe end above the grating of the drain? Remove grating extend pipe to lower level - cut grating to fit round pipe;)

You need to check the drain is clear and clean from scum and debris. Drain should be able to cope with bath water.

Is there a grate in between drain and down pipe?

Daniel.

yes it end up over the grating, but is in cast so i can't extend. Could lower it down i suppose, but means redrawing the hopper head. Would prefer to slow the flow down a touch.

yes it end up over the grating, but is in cast so i can't extend. Could lower it down i suppose, but means redrawing the hopper head. Would prefer to slow the flow down a touch.
Sounds like a job for a Fernco and a bit of black plastic downpipe to me

You need to check the drain is clear and clean from scum and debris. Drain should be able to cope with bath water.

Is there a grate in between drain and down pipe?

Daniel.

We do have a problem with this drain as the kitchen sink runs into it as well. So it does get full up quite often with food.

I just plunge it every so often with my drain rod. Even so if it is fully clear, the bath water still spills out.

Can the drain be blocked in the bend, but still look pretty clear at grate level ?

If you do what muggles says you will have a drain that don't splash over and is kept clear by the power of bathwater;)

Ok, so does than mean running the drainpipe into the drain ? It has a shoe bottom at the moment. not sure what a fernco is as well.

Ok, so does than mean running the drainpipe into the drain ? It has a shoe bottom at the moment. not sure what a fernco is as well.
Google is a wonderful thing....

Yes, it means running the drainpipe to below grate level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back