Small leak on radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstairs i have a leak on the radiator from where the pipe goes into the valve.

I have turned off the valves.

what i want to know is will i get a lot of water coming out when i pull out the pipe to push it back home a bit better ?

Do i close all the other upstairs rads off as well so no water comes out from here and pushes down to my open joint ?

ant tips on minimising water ? would i use some ptfe tape on the end of the pipe going into the valve ?

Sponsored Links
First of turn the boiler off central heating mode, close all other radiators on the same floor or above the leaky one.
Then I would attempt to nip the nut up connecting the pipe to the radiator valve, as this can often be a straight forward and simple repair without any issues.
If that does not solve the problem, then again you will need close all remaining radiators off and drain pipework of the central heating off.
Then you should be able to make a repair, do have a water collector nearby to collect and residual water and something to clean up any spillages.
It could be the olive needs replacing and sometimes even the nut, you should not really need to use PTFE tape, but using it will not kill anyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back