smart meters

Sponsored Links
We have a SmartMeter for gas from PG&E, as it was already installed when we moved into our present home last year. PG&E also has SmartMeters for electricity in the areas it serves throughout the state, which includes most of this county. There is a mandated opt-out available for anyone who doesn't want one, and the California Public Utilities Commission sets the additional fees which may be charged:

http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/customerservice/smartmeter/optout/index.page

Here in Redding, while we're with PG&E for gas, electricity is a city-owned utility and does not use SmartMeters at all. I was chatting with an REU man just a couple of weeks ago and he said that they have no plans to adopt them.

Sponsored Links
Having kitchen redone from basics. Current gas meter is big. Was thinking to take advantage of getting it removed and changed. To accomdate current meter i have to cut half of new cabinet.pity lead time to fit meter is 2 to 3 months. New kitchen maybe in by then.

Did you mean GAS meter as this is the ELECTRICS forum
Notaplumber, I also have a big ugly GAS meter in a poor location, are you saying with a smart meter fitted that can be removed, that would be a bonus

As far as I can tell all the "Smart" meter does is send info on what power you are using direct to the electric company so they don't need a meter reader. As to how this helps the user I don't know. You can get add on units which show remotely what power is being used without having a smart meter and it can send info to the provider so bills are not estimated in the same way, I had one from Scottish power which used my broad band to send info so bills were corrected once a year rather than pure estimate.

For the ability to swap between economy 7 and 10 with easy yes I can see an advantage, but for a standard supply there seems no advantage for the user. The electric company may have the ability to turn off the power remotely but that hardly is an advantage for the user.

If they offer a cheaper rate if you have a smart meter when for example the sun is shining and the solar farms are producing power it may for some people mean a saving. However we would also need smart washing machines and tumble driers which auto switched on when the charge was low. Not seen any so it would seem no point as yet in getting smart meters.

The electric company may have the ability to turn off the power remotely but that hardly is an advantage for the user.
It might be for your mum if she had a priority status which kept her with power when she might otherwise have had it cut off.

Although if she didn't have a smart meter, they wouldn't be able to cut it off remotely.

Which is even better.

No - when it comes to that stage they will cut off whole areas because of the shortfall in capacity, and she would lose power. If with a smart meter infrastructure she was classified as a priority case she wouldn't lose it, at least not so readily.

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening in the UK!
The reasons for rolling out SmartMeters are pretty much the same though.

As far as I can tell all the "Smart" meter does is send info on what power you are using direct to the electric company so they don't need a meter reader.
It's more than just a regular monthly or quarterly reading that a meter reader takes though. They can send data relating to usage on different days and during different times of day, so the power company can record times of heaviest usage at each home etc. In some cases the units are sending not only their own data but also acting as relays for other SmartMeters in the area.

I am still desperately searching for what the benefit is for me, and why I should have to pay extra for something that would only benefit the electricity industry…..
Don't tell me that with a smart meter I can see what electricity I am using and can then adjust my useage. I've been doing that for a very long time already.

I am still desperately searching for what the benefit is for me,
Do you mean now, or in a few years time when the shortfall in generating capacity leads to inevitable power cuts, and where smart metering (and smart appliances - both are needed to work together) might save you from some of them?

smart meters only make economic sense when the price of electricity is being varied from day to day or hour to hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back