smart meters

Sponsored Links
smart meters only make economic sense when the price of electricity is being varied from day to day or hour to hour.
EDF has had its Option Tempo in France for years, in which days are designated blue, white and red, from cheapest to most expensive, then there is a day and a night rate for each, giving six different rates. Signals sent the night before indicate which color the next day will be, and can be used to automatically control certain loads. Somebody was asking about it just recently:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/france-tempo-electricity-tariff-exploitation.458440/

But that's not anything like the same idea as the SmartMeter.

Do you mean now, or in a few years time when the shortfall in generating capacity leads to inevitable power cuts, and where smart metering (and smart appliances - both are needed to work together) might save you from some of them?
What do you mean by "a few" I doubt I'll live long enough to see that happen & I'm only 65, or do you have info that it is within say the next 5 years. I feel in the same position as Taylortwocities & remember what a waste of money the energy monitoring devices were that Brit Gas gave away some years ago.

Sponsored Links
"Smart" appliances, so that the supplier can decide when to turn off specific loads in your own home - No thank you.
Then they will turn your whole house off.

And yes - they will. It will matter not one iota how little you cooperate with smart metering, suppliers can, and therefore will, mandate that you chose between having a smart meter or having no supply, and once you have one it will then be up to you to choose between having "smart" appliances or having no electricity at all when everybody else around you who does have them does still have electricity for some uses.

you can opt out

Here is a long and useless pile of verbiage in green ink, which is only here to fill up the page and irritate people, because nobody takes any notice of it. It is not intended to show off as a philosopher, free thinker or intellectual, because nobody will take it that way. It is only here to waste space. The graves's a fine and noble place, but none I think do there embrace. Allons, enfants de la patrie!

De gustibus non disputandum est.

I am still desperately searching for what the benefit is for me, and why I should have to pay extra for something that would only benefit the electricity industry…..
Don't tell me that with a smart meter I can see what electricity I am using and can then adjust my useage. I've been doing that for a very long time already.
I feel the same I can see an advantage for the supplier but nothing for the user. I remember the winter of discontent and taking in turns to have electric power, they did not need smart meters.

Last edited:
Anybody would think the energy suppliers make their money from supplying us with energy. Obviously I'm wrong.

The attitude, and profit making, of the electricty companies is wonderfully explained in this video.
Check it out at the 4 minutes marker, but all of it is a real education!

Anybody would think the energy suppliers make their money from supplying us with energy. Obviously I'm wrong.
They do.

But with a finite (and increasingly too small) supply, they cannot cope with unfettered demand.

I can see a waft of new late for work excuses coming on!

"Sorry I'm late, my uniform wasn't dry because the energy company turned my drier off overnight"

"Sorry I can't get to work today, my electric car didn't charge because the energy company turned my supply off and I didn't realise"

Oh what fun it will be.

If the U.K.'s program for the construction of nuclear power plants hadn't been all but halted, they might not be in such a mess now.

"Sorry I can't get to work today, my electric car didn't charge because the energy company turned my supply off and I didn't realise"
Even better, "my car needed charging because my energy company took the charge from my battery to run the neighbour's tumble dryer"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back