smashed usb socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
young brother smashed up one of dads usb sockets (probably with a screwdriver). other usb untouched but modem has no power lights and computer keeps saying is usb plugged in? or it cant locate the modem. would it be too simple to think this is a fuse? any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If this is a front-mounted USB on a desktop or tower, it probably connects to the motherboard with (about) 4 small wires. I'd unplug it, consider it damaged and unusable, plug a small USB hub into the back (where it will probably have more USB sockets. Make a note of the colour sequence of any wires you unplug in case you manage to get a replacement (they usually seem to come with cases)

It may still be possible to buy a PCI card or similar that adds USBs, but most modern PCs come with plenty, and you only need one working one to plug in a hub that will give you another 4 or so.

berenice2000 said:
is the pci card easy to fit, i've been quoted £35 to fit and £12 for the card

Plug it in and off you go. It would take a pro no more than 5 minutes and an amateur 10 (cos he/she needs to find a screwdriver :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
you have to un plug pc first, then take side off then plug it it, it really is that easy.

i got a usb2 card for mine

Igorian said:
berenice2000 said:
is the pci card easy to fit, i've been quoted £35 to fit and £12 for the card

Plug it in and off you go. It would take a pro no more than 5 minutes and an amateur 10 (cos he/she needs to find a screwdriver :LOL: )

If it's a Dell you don't even need ascrewdriver, but yeah, it's really very simple. :D

is it obvious where the card plugs into and how do i plug my lead in when the socket doesnt work and there is no power to the existing modem?

berenice2000 said:
is it obvious where the card plugs into and how do i plug my lead in when the socket doesnt work and there is no power to the existing modem?

Open or take the lid off the system unit case. You should see some long white slots, usually at least 2, but it will depend on your system. The USB card plugs snugly into one of these slots; it doesn't matter which one. The card will have one or more standard USB sockets on the back, just the same as the broken one, only not broken. That's it. Turn on and it should all work.

Have a look at a book like this. I'm not trying to be rude by pointing you to a dummies book. They are good for beginners.

Eddie M said:
If it's a Dell you don't even need ascrewdriver, but yeah, it's really very simple. :D

If it's a Dell, then a standard PCI card may not fit, they often only have half-height slots.

Sponsored Links
Back