smelly shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a monrose 6 inch fan in the shower room. After 2-3 people have had a shower in the morning there is a lingering smell of steam in the bathroom 12 hours later.
The fan appears to blow the air inside (cold air felt on the hand, however when the fan is on there appears to be steam coming out on the ouside wall. Is this normal ? The fan stays on 5 -10 minutes after the shower is over. Furthermore the cold air appears to be stronger on the R hand side of the fan compared to the L hand side.

Sponsored Links
since this was in electrics, it could be because you need a re-wire

also, puttin your hand over a fan isnt the best way to test direction. hold a piece of paper over it and youll be able to find out properly. you could try leavin the fan on longer

thanks for your help, but I have tried it with paper, the pull on the pater is stronger on one side of the fan than the other.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a lingering smell of steam. Steam has no smell. Do you mean the air is damp? I doubt very much whether 5 - 10 minutes is long enough to get all the dampness out of the room after 2 or 3 showers. Some of that steam will have condensed onto cold surfaces from which it will evaporate long after the fan has stopped - and where do those people put all their wet towels?

If the room has no natural air flow you might need a small fan running for an extended period to keep it free of damp. Alternatively, put your existing fan onto a humidity sensor instead of a timer.

I wouldn't worry about the unequal distribution of pulling power as long as it isn't blowing back in anywhere. The airflow depends a lot on how the ducting runs behind the fan. The important thing is that it sucks air out but here's a question. Where does the replacement air get in? If you don't provide an inlet your fan can't do its job properly.

Sponsored Links
Quote:- "If you don't provide an inlet your fan can't do its job properly"

Exactly what I tell the women! :D

Do all of the above and then; Can you check the fan outlet ? is there a good flow there ? If not, and either way, check the ducting. Have seen many instances of flexible ducting where the steam condenses into it and if it isn't supported will sag. The sag fills with condensed water giving a horrible smell of dank water and severally restricting the airflow, hence compounding the problem. If so, empty stagnent water out of ducting and support to prevent it re-occuring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back