Smelly Washing???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I use the right amount of washing liquid and fabric conditioner (Surf and Lenor) the washing doesn't come out smelling fresh. I have tried using bleach and the hottest wash to clean the system out and even used a pipe unblocker down the outlet pipe. Any suggestions? (I have recently had a new programmer fitted to the machine which is a Bosch Classixx1000 Express)

Sponsored Links
Have you given it a Hot wash with some old towels and no soap powder or softener?

Have you taken out the powder drawer, and given it, and the slot it goes into, a good scrub with hot water and a nylon brush, and a bleach spray on any remaining black mildew?

Have you looked at the waste outlet pipe to verify that it is looped up at least as high as the draining board, to prevent dirty sink water being able to flow into the machine from the sink?

Have you given the door and the rubber seal a good clean?

Do you leave the door ajar when not in use to discourage mould growth?

Hi thanks for ur reply

I have tried 5 washes on hottest setting with thick bleach, got new rubber seal and programmer, not to sure about height of outlet pipe have scrubbed all I can reach to get rid of mould :(

so, of the five questions I asked, how many are you saying "yes" to?

the smell is usually due to old congealed soap and fabsoft, bleach does not remove it.

Sponsored Links
No 1 No - Have not tried washing old towels with nothing in drawer

No 2 No - Cleaned but not cleaned with bleach spray (but thought hottest wash with bleach would be as good)

No 3 No

No 4 Yes - have a new one is very clean

No 5 Yes

Hope this is ok but from what you said I think is to do with the outlet pipe

well try the other three and see how that helps.

you may need to push down the catch at the back of the drawer to pull it out, you may see sludge after you remove it (also on the "ceiling" of the slot).

clean the drawer and slot before you do the no-powder towel wash.

see if the no-powder wash foams up as if it had soap in it.

if you are not sure about the waste pipe, post a pic of where it joins the drain, wide enough to show where it is in relation to the sink and work surface height.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Am just going out but thanks for your help I will try to get that pic tomorrow

sorry to jump in, but the answer is the fact that a washing liquid is being used.

I wont go into detail as to why, but see 12 here

Hi thanks for the tip and I will try it but it's not the machine smelling it's that the washing doesn't come out smelling fresh. After talking to John D I think it's more to do with the waste pipe. Thanks again though :)

:D Breezer is an expert on these things (really!)

Ok I will try the washing soda, will get some later when I go shopping.
After that it's back to the washing tablets for me lol :)

Hi it's me again

I've done the washing soda wash and the washing does smell better, however, it still doesn't come out smelling of the fabric conditioner (or only very slightly). My daughters and my partners washing always comes out smelling lovely but nothing is done different so I am very confused now.

one hot wash with washing soda may not be enough, you may have to do it again, there could be years of gunk in there (you cant see it) as its between inner and outer drums

you could also put the whole packet of washing soda in, but pour it out of the box first. you are putting it directly into the inner drum? (same place clothes go) 60 degree wash or above too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back