Smelly Washing???

until all the old congealed soap has been washed out, you will find that when you do your hot, no-powder wash with your old towels, they will froth up soapily.

When there is no more soapy sludge left they will stop doing it.

You can wash other old cotton stuiff if you want, but it will tend to shrink and fade. Old white towels are good for this, especially if you have some old ones you keep for drying the dog, use after gardening or mending the car etc.

Sponsored Links
When I was repairing White goods I was on a training course at a large washing machine refurb plant where they did hundreds of machines a day for the then bouyant rental market. Some of the things i saw there would make your hair stand on end.

One of the worst machines I saw had a good half inch of crud sticking to the inside of the tub. It took an industrial steam cleaner to get rid of it....

When I had finished the course I could have a machine apart, drum replaced and back together in 45 mins. ( whirlpool )

When I had finished the course I could have a machine apart, drum replaced and back together in 45 mins. ( whirlpool )

bet you couldn't in the confines of the average kithcen :LOL:

I tried it with the other half of the packet of washing soda directly in the drum on a 60 wash. It does seem to be a bit better again, should I just keep repeating this until I (hopefullly) get the desired effect?

Sponsored Links

bet you couldn't in the confines of the average kithcen :LOL:

Agreed... but ok if its not raining then do it outside. I think the best I ever did was about 40 mins ( Under factory conditions ) In a confined space it can be a lot longer....

Ok thanks for all your help, I appreciate it, will keep trying.

Take care

As requested, hopefully these photos will be of use.
I have tried the washing soda three times now using two packs of soda. Although it seems to have improved things it still isn't as it should be and the machine is only about 18 months old so it shouldn't have been too bad. I scrolled back to previous advice and request for pic from JohnD and have posted the album. Hope this shows what you needed to see.

Maggie, check the holes in the dispenser compartment that feed the water into the soap and conditioner trays aren't blocked with mould. You may find that as the water is filling the soap dispenser on the machine's initial fill, it is also spraying into the conditioner compartment and the conditioner is emptying prematurely.

You can check this by gently pulling the dispenser tray out after the initial fill and seeing if the conditioner is still there.

To reduce the mould build up, remove the soap dispenser tray as well as leaving the door open when not in use.

My washing is smelling much better now, I just want to say thank you to the three gentlemen who helped me sort out the problem - Thanks again

Maggie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back