Smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody advise me please

Am extending and knocking about my house and want to add mains smoke detection , I would like to put detector at GF hall /stairwell, FF lkanding, and in new extended kitchen, I believe from a Building control point of view I am only deemed to put Smoke detector in kitchen, but as i am deciding to put detectors in original house would they need to be linked, Now assuming they would and it is my desire to link them, can somebody tell me do i merely (first fix) run 3 core cable from kitchen detector as a daisy chain to Gf landing and terminate at FF landing.

Hope that clear and simple

Russell

Sponsored Links
I don't know about the regs but putting a smoke detector in a kitchen will cause no end of alarm triggers every time you fry or boil something. It'll be going off right in your ear!

Good luck with that :eek:

I think we could probably safely assume the guy meant a heat detector or one of the newer smoke detector technologies that wouldn't trigger every time toast was cooked

You might well be right ...... but on the other hand ...... :eek:

Sponsored Links
First detector needs twin and earth supply - then daisy chain in three core and earth to all the others. I would advise a heat detector in the kitchen, optical in the hallway if it adjoins the kitchen and ionisation detector on each landing. Alternatively you could power each detector off of a light and interconnect with radio links.

You need to install a heat detector in the kitchen, NOT A SMOKE DETECTOR!!! then, in the hall, you need an optical smoke alarm (to minimise nuisance from kitchen), upstairs, you need an ionisation alarm, and a carbon monoxide alarm (if your bedrooms are upstairs), then other rooms (living/bedrooms), optical alarms. 2 core and earth from separate 6a RCBO to any one alarm, then daisy chained with 3core and earth from there to the rest. You can also install a reset switch with some manufacturers, which isolates the fault alarm without having to find a broom to push the button on the ceiling. Rechargeable (lithium) alarms do not require batteries to be changed, but often cost a lot more, and don't have any benefit other than changing the battery in 5 years or so. Models requiring a back box e.g. drywall box are often much lower profile, and look much less obtrusive, visually compared to surface mount ones, which are fairly chunky. Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back