smoke detectors and new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone shed a little light on this :?:

Just about putting the finishing touches to my daughters new extension and have a query re the need for smoke detectors after the work that has been done.

the facts;

Average size 4 bed house on 2 storeys, less than 200sq mtr storey area,
battery powered smoke alarms in hall and landing,
wrap around extension built, taking old external wall out of kitchen and building on a new kitchen extension, so kitchen is now an L shaped kitchen diner.
utility room added
garage added with no access from house.
separated from stairs
kitchen has direct means of escape

hope thats all the relevant stuff.

1) no mention of mains smoke detectors on the plans, so none fitted. Mensioned this to the sparky and got a "hmmm, I wondered about that", wtf???
So are they reqd by BC??

2) if so, would mains operated/ battery backed up ones operating off hall and landing lighting circuits or feed circuits suffice if they are needed??.

I have had a quick look at this as you can guess from my points, but I'm still unsure how the regs affect the work in our circumstances

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it's your daughter's place I would have thought you want to ensure everybody at the house is gonna be safe + sound?

As a minimum, I would go for mains wired Smoke detection to GF hallway + FF landing together with a heat detector in the new Kitchen (check Bldg Regs for spec, but usually has to conform to BS 5839, Part 6, 2006. All detectors to be interconnected + wired to seperatley fused circuit at distribution board).

As for minimum requirements, agree with freddy - ask BC

Yes of course, but they won't have the upstairs ripped up to run the direct supply, (I did the 1st fix for the sparky and ran the armoured 6mm and the 10mm main earth externally but access is restricted now the project is about finished). I spotted something in the regs about a regularly used lighting circuit being acceptable.

BI is due later in the week but I like to be one step ahead if poss and in the know

Sponsored Links
Design chappy I've used before, previous job needed alarms as staircase rose off kitchen area, (I posted the query on here a year or so ago). In that case they were detailed on the plans. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back