Smoking

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
I would expect, from the few smokers I know, that most smokers would say "Yeh, fair enough. I'll just have to smoke outside the pub". But then there are the 'hardcore' smokers who get all uppity about their 'right' to smoke. My dad, for instance, refuses to go to the cinema since they banned smoking in them. Daft thing is, he used to get pi**ed off with people smoking on planes!

I would like to see "no being smelly" laws introduced. Nothing worse than taking a bus and having someone sit next to you smells like they shower under the back end of a cow using BO-scented soap. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry Adam. It was my alarm clock, I set it to PM instead of AM and didn't have time for a shower. Plus, the French Onion Soup Farts didn't help matters. I apologise.

Next time I'll sit well in front of you.

AdamW said:
I would expect, from the few smokers I know, that most smokers would say "Yeh, fair enough. I'll just have to smoke outside the pub". But then there are the 'hardcore' smokers who get all uppity about their 'right' to smoke. My dad, for instance, refuses to go to the cinema since they banned smoking in them. Daft thing is, he used to get pi**ed off with people smoking on planes!

I would like to see "no being smelly" laws introduced. Nothing worse than taking a bus and having someone sit next to you smells like they shower under the back end of a cow using BO-scented soap. :LOL:
I wonder how we would cope with no smells at all? would we lose our appetite, taste?

kendor said:
I wonder how we would cope with no smells at all? would we lose our appetite, taste?

Actually, it's an odd sensation. I used to work in a lab where various noxious chemicals like 4 Methylpentan 2 1 and Methyl Isobutyl Ketone were used. We had fume cupboards, but they unfortunately vented near office windows on the top floor of the building, so were removed. The union negotiated a compensation package to, well compensate us for working without fume cupboards. A whole 19 pence a week!

About 10 years ago, I realised that I was finding it difficult to determine smells. Things close up (within 2 - 3 inches) are fine, but I can't determine ambient odours. Usually, the first strong smell stays with me all day, like coffee first thing in the morning. Everything smells of coffee. The worst experience was when doing an NVQ in plumbing and I got a close up whiff of some acetylene. Not a nice smell to have in ya nose all day!

Sponsored Links
My mum lost her sense of smell when she started popping out my siblings and I. A couple of years ago she had to have a hysterectomy, and low and behold, the sense of smell came back almost immediately! Very weird things, hormones.

Anyway, it was a bit of a compensation for the surgery, all of a sudden she could smell things, and taste properly. The price that people pay for kids... Must be worth it. Please tell me it's worth it! :LOL:

A mate of mine is an industrial chemical engineer and is currently commissioning sewage processing plants. He assures me that is a lot nicer than the acetic acid (vinegar) plants!!! So think about that next time you sprinkle vinegar on your chips. Still, it was funny watching him try to eat a choc-ice after a day of watching the t*rds go by. :LOL:

Igorian said:
We had fume cupboards, but they unfortunately vented near office windows on the top floor of the building, so were removed. The union negotiated a compensation package to, well compensate us for working without fume cupboards. A whole 19 pence a week!

Is that even legal?! It is a disgrace either way. Could you imagine if they said "right, you guys who work with lasers. Instead of giving you safety specs, we'll just pay you a bit more in case you blind yourself later on."

Still, I feel sorry for road workers. They don't seem to be able to afford shirts so have to work topless, and the pneumatic drill operators don't seem to be given ear protection :eek:

It's quite common for women to have a better sense of smell than men. :eek: You guys knew that already didn't you? ;)
It's thought to be because of oestrogen. Interesting that Adam's mother seemed to lose her sense of smell after birth. Oestrogen levels usually fall after birth and during breast feeding. The return of smell after hysterectomy is a bit more difficult to explain, but I suspect she's on HRT post hysterectomy which replaces oestrogen.
Sorry Adam if this is too much detail about your mum! :oops:

Fascinating thing smell. I think humans can distinguish 10000 different types. And when you are attracted to that gorgeous girl in the bar it's more likely that it's her smell (that 'something about her' ;) ) that's captivated you rather than that 'belt' she's wearing! :LOL:
So perhaps we shouldn't wash all that much!
Oh and I reckon that's a great reason to stop smoking in bars too as no doubt we'd all pull more if they could only just smell us :D !

AdamW said:
Could you imagine if they said "right, you guys who work with lasers. Instead of giving you safety specs, we'll just pay you a bit more in case you blind yourself later on."

It's funny you should say that because (same lab) the safety specs we were given filtered out red light. Unfortunately, all the laser instrumentation used red leds, so you had to lift the specs up to monitor the setup.

waran said:
Sorry Adam if this is too much detail about your mum! :oops:

Nope you are perfectly correct, HRT the lot.

There is another interesting thing about smell. Did you know that cervical mucus makes a girl more attractive? I saw an experiment on this. They took a bunch of guys, and gave them each a pack of photos. They were each given a face mask. With just air coming through the mask they were asked to rate them all on a 1 to 10 scale. Then, unknown to the chaps, they "scented" the air with genuine cervical mucus, and did the ratings again. They found that the girls who were rated highly in the first experiment were still rated highly, but the ugly girls were bumped up a couple of points each. :eek:

Another smell/attraction fact: it takes about 2 years to get used to the smell of a new lover, which is why a lot of relationships seem to end after around 2 years. You get bored of the smell. :LOL:

I really should keep my brain on the non-mucal sciences... :confused:

lisap said:
Well,as you are a smoker, you never know where you may end up!! :evil: :eek: :evil:

I couldn't quite get my little head round this one :rolleyes: . But I am intrigued now. Do you work at a hospital or mortuary or something???

mildmanneredjanitor said:
lisap said:
Well,as you are a smoker, you never know where you may end up!! :evil: :eek: :evil:

I couldn't quite get my little head round this one :rolleyes: . But I am intrigued now. Do you work at a hospital or mortuary or something???

Perhaps to her "smoke house", Texas Chainsaw Massacre style?

Or maybe cos you smoke, you might "accidentally" get something else in there and "end up" high as a kite?

Did you know there are actually p0rn sites on the internet, dedicated to videos of women smoking. Nothing else, not even naked. Just smoking. Or so I've heard. :oops:

AdamW said:
Did you know there are actually p0rn sites on the internet, dedicated to videos of women smoking. Nothing else, not even naked. Just smoking. Or so I've heard. :oops:

;) Don't tell me, a friend of yours... :LOL:

The most bizarre I heard of involved dirty old shoes... That's all I'm going to say!

Yes, IT WAS a friend ACTUALLY!!! :D

waran said:
Fascinating thing smell. I think humans can distinguish 10000 different types. And when you are attracted to that gorgeous girl in the bar it's more likely that it's her smell (that 'something about her' ;) ) that's captivated you rather than that 'belt' she's wearing! :LOL:
So perhaps we shouldn't wash all that much!
Oh and I reckon that's a great reason to stop smoking in bars too as no doubt we'd all pull more if they could only just smell us :D !
There you go lads absolute proof that women don't know men :LOL: ;)

Fascinating thing cervical mucous! :LOL:

I am suprised that it increases the perception of attractiveness. It usually acts as a barrier to sperm (and has antibodies to them) so you might expect it to be a turn off. It probably has quite high levels of oestrogen especially after ovulation. Did you know you can use it as a test for the optimum time for conception. Conversely it may even be used for contraception. Although perhaps getting hold of it to test in the bar may be a bit tricky.......... :D

Not quite sure why I'm discussing this in a DIY forum post about smoking but hey, in the interest of promoting scientific theory!

AdamW said:

What Brand were they smoking?..........It's important! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back