Smooth OSB3 and GRP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this new smooth slippery osb3 board for laminating a GRP deck? Luckily I've got enough of the old 'rough' stuff for tomorrow's job but after that ....

Sponsored Links
Hi old
I moved over from GRP a few years ago due to weather restrictions ( Lancashire )
So I can't answer your question as I now use rubber. I do know the new boards are now a lot more waterproof than the old ones! I can't really see it being a problem though.

Thing I'm worried about is how well the resin will soak into the (fairly slippery) surface. The websites all seem to assume the older type- not sure whether T&G is now coated as well, I've always used 8 x 4 sheets cos cheaper.
I've got round the problem for tomorrow, think a call to my resin suppliers is in order (neighbours at one house have seen how well the GRP turns out on the bay, might be on a bit of an earner here :)

I used to use the 8x4 sheets , but ditched them when the smaller t&g boards became available due to very little wastage and speed of fitting, Plus easier to carry up a ladder!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, fell into that trap last night (the 8 x 4 up a ladder). Fortunately neighbour turned up & gave me a hand :)

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but it's come up in my information trawl regarding GRP flat roofs:whistle:

According to https://uk.westfraser.com/our-products/sterlingosb-zero/sterlingosb-zero-osb3/ Sterling 'Zero' OSB3 proudly proclaims: "Now, a much smoother OSB, it is so smooth that it does not need to be sanded even for GRP roofing applications!"

As oldbutnotdead (I know how he feels!) mentions, all the literature suggests that a nice rough surface is preferred to aid baselayer bonding - so who on earth do we believe? Will other OSB producers be following suit?:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back