Socket Advice (cooker supply)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a compact oven/microwave and a separate single oven, they are total rating 3600w each. Can I plug them both into the old dedicated oven socket. This is a 30amp socket which is directly connected to the existing standalone oven?

Sponsored Links
Can I plug them both into the old dedicated oven socket.
No.

You can't plug either one into any socket on its own. They each need hardwiring to a separate 16A circuit, which is the norm in the 100's of millions of houses in the countries which those appliances were really designed for.

This is a 30amp socket
No it isn't.

UK domestic sockets are rated at 13A for singles, 20A for twins.

ruddy, I think you are misusing the term "socket"

That is why BAS is being pedantic because, in the UK, most sockets have a 13amp current limit (3000watts), and you cannot plug either of those appliances into a 13amp socket.

I assume that your existing 30amp circuit terminates in a cooker connection point?
If so, and if it conforms to the makers instructions, you could just hardwire both of those items to the existing cooker connection point.

This is only OK if teh maker does not want the circuit to be fused at something less than 30amps (or whatever your cooker circuit is fused at).

I wish to install a compact oven/microwave and a separate single oven, they are total rating 3600w each.
So you have a total output of 7200 watts, so you are looking for a full load demand of about 30A to 32A.
Can I plug them both into the old dedicated oven socket. This is a 30amp socket which is directly connected to the existing standalone oven?
I assume that this is not a socket but a cooker outlet plate or cooker control unit. You will not be able to use these two appliance on a standard 13A plug/socket set-up. They will both require to be hardwired, they can be combined/dual connected or both have dedicated circuits.
If the circuit you have is an existing cooker circuit and has a cable that can deal with the total output of 30A to 32A, then it is possible. You could also consider factoring diversity, but taking the full load of the second appliance and the possibility of a socket-outlet on the Cooker control outlet, would not really offer any great differential.

Sponsored Links
Sorry my mistake ...yes the socket I refer to is the cooker plate which is currently directly wired to the oven. There is no plug. There is a separate isolation switch on the wall which cuts it off.

I have found a Bosch hob that plugs directly to a 13amp plug, so was hoping that the other two single ovens could be wired directly in to the cooker plate which would save me having to add additional circuits through the house to the consumer unit in the garage.

They are both bosch ovens. One is a compact oven the other a combination oven/microwave, both have a maximum power output of 3600w.

Unlikely I would have thought to have found a hob that is on a 13A plug-top unless it is just a 2ring, or perhaps its induction and is set up to modulate in such a way it never takes more than 13A (which could cause issues when you are trying to heat 4 pans at once - a bit of electronic trickery cannot get past the basic laws of physics)

Anyway, a hob and two ovens. I'd get a dual output cooker connection plate (think click-scolmore make them) and feed the hob straight from it and take another supply from it to a small enclosure in the back of a cabinet with a pair of B16 MCBs to feed the two ovens.

I'd also look into the cables size and route taken by the existing feed and look into putting it on a 40A as opposed to 32A breaker. You electrician will be able to advise further once he has been to site.

If the hob is already factory fitted with 13A plug, I would keep that set-up and plug it into a socket-outlet, rather than connect with the other appliances.
The other two appliances can be connected together through a dual outlet plate on the existing circuit, providing manufacturer's instructions do not state otherwise.

No its defo a 13amp plug Bosch hob 2900w induction, 4 ring areas Ive got the brochure and its specific in it. Its also got many good reviews.

Bosch PIA611T68B Induction Hob with front touch controls
Power on indicator light
2 x 1.4kW 2 x 1.8kW Induction Zones
Boost setting for all zones
QuickStart function
ReStart function
Connected load: 2.99 kW
Power management options for 13AMP UK Plug
2 stage Hh residual heat indicator for each zone
Touch Controls with Variable 17-stage power settings for each zone
Safety switch-off, Child Safety Lock
Automatic Pan Recognition
110cm cable and 13A UK plug
Size (W) 592mm (D) 522mm Weight 11kg
Cut Out (W) 560 ((D) 490- 510 (H) 51mm
Available in Black Frameless hob
Bosch PIA611B68B EAN 4242002736235
2 Year Manufacturers Guarantee

This sounds very much like the oven(s) were designed for the continental market, as 3600W@230V is 15.65A, just below the European standard 16A socket. Because they have CE markings they can be sold in this country, even though they are unsuitable for the UK without modification.

As an aside, I notice BAS is back. He commented on another thread that UKIP will make the appliances we buy and use less safe, obviously referring to the CE marking which will no longer be required should we leave the EU. This thread is a classic case of CE, and one size does not fit all!!

Edit - I now see he has also posed on this thread, previous to my post which I originally overlooked. Sorry BAS, But in this case, we are both of the same opinion regarding the ovens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back