Socket and cooker switch distance from hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is the distance from a gas hob for a socket 300mm set by regulations or is it just a recomendation? Is this distance also for the cooker control switch?
As kitchen sizes can vary I think it is a recommended distance and general practice but just want to double check.

Cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
Sorry I cannot tell you which reg no. but I am sure it is set by one, rather than just good practice.

Sponsored Links
nope... no regs give a set distance..

I believe that the 300mm is a NICEIC recomendation.. don't think it's mentioned in the on site guide either...

reasonable provision must be made that leads cannot b trailed over the hob, or that you don't have to reach over the hob to turn things on or off...

yeap 300mm ,i think its in the green book. or maybe the OSG.

I'll rephrase that...

the IEE wiring regulations don't give a set distance for sockets or accessories from sinks or cookers..

however, they also don't give set heights for sockets and switches etc whereas the Building Regulations do..

as you're in scotland you'll need to check with the scotish building regs to see if they perscribe any set heights and distances..

The first time I saw the distance from a sink quoted at 300mm was in the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations. Note the word GUIDE in the title.

I wiould consider 300mm as a reasonable minimum. The socket or whatever must be suitable for the environment but whatever the distance is so you wont put a standard 13A socket 300mm from a deep fat fryer for instance. (I have seen it though :rolleyes: )

The distance stated in the wiring regs as the maximum for a cooker isolation switch from the cooker is 2 metres.

Thanks for the replies.
So putting the sockets less than 300mm doesn't actually contrvene any regs as I thought....They need to be closer to the hob (about 200mm) and the cooker fcu definetaly less than 300mm.

Building regs has the following for changes to existing kitchen

4. ELECTRICS
Sockets
There must be at least 6 electrical sockets in
the kitchen although it is recommended that
more are provided to cater for the increasing
number of electrical appliances used in
kitchens today. Sockets must not be located
close to a sink so as to avoid wetting of
electrical appliances which are plugged in, or
located immediately behind a cooker hob for
safety reasons. It is recommended that a
30 mA RCD (residual current device) be
installed to the electrical circuit, to provide
protection to socket outlets likely to feed
portable equipment outdoors, (e.g.
lawnmowers).

It is a Wiring Regulation that a
portable equipment outdoors

It is a Wiring Regulation that a
portable equipment outdoors

Yes I know but I am querying the 300mm distance.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back