socket positions next to hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can you tell me what the minimum distance is for a socket next to a gas hob and the isolator for the electric oven and are there any exceptions?

I have tried searching the forums, but was unable to find any help there. :confused:

Cheers,
Simon

Sponsored Links
Far enough away so that you don't burn yourself trying to turn it off, nomally 300mm

Hi,

Is that a guideline / best practice or a specific measurement? I'm asking as the plumber who fitted my hob the other day has said that the cooker switch on one side of the hov and a socket on the other side are too close to be allowed by building regs! :eek: They are both 380\400mm from the centre of the burners.

Cheers,
Simon

simon_t said:
They are both 380\400mm from the centre of the burners.

And how far, laterally, from the side of the cooker?

The idea is that when you have, e.g. a chip-pan fire, you don't have to lean through the smoke and flames to reach the switch.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I've just put a rule on the them and the cooker switch plate edge is 200mm from the cooker edge and 240mm above the worktop.

The socket on the opposite of the hob is also 240mm above the worktop and 125mm from the edge of the hob. Though that side has the burner controls on it so the burners are futher away.

Are these acceptable with building regs or do they have to be removed?

Simon

I'd say they were too close. When you next have the kitchen re-wired or additional sockets put in, or the wall re-tiled, it would be better to have then repositioned at least 300mm laterally. However to the best of my knowledge this is good-practice guidance not regulation.

If you have a commercial kitchen you might fall foul of a safety inspection.

There may possibly be a Gas rule that the Corgi guys would know - they don't often come in the Electric room.

OOI, is the new cooker a wide one, or a range? It's unusual to have outlets fitted so close.

It's a normal hob nothing wide. I made the mistake that I didn't give the electrician a drawing of the kitchen so that it was in black and white! :oops: though when you see the distance between the CCU and the next socket it's fairly obvious that you can't fit a hob between with 300mm either side.

I have called him and asked if it is possible to extend and crimp the ends and move the boxes to the sides and blank off the old box and decorate over the top. Otherwise I'll end up with a crappy blanking plate in full view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back