Socket Sizes Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the white sockets in our kitchen with chrome ones. I bought some replacements thinking it was a universal size but they are a bit bigger than the ones I have on at the moment. The sizes I need are 85 x 85 mm singles and 145 x 85 mm doubles. Can anyone point me in the right direction for these sized sockets? All the normal diy outlet sockets are slightly bigger than these and so wont fit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wonder if yours are a very old surface mounting type? can you show a picture?

Are they mounted into square galvanised boxes sunk into the wall?

Are the fixing-screw holes on the old and new faceplates at the same spacing?

I wonder if yours are a very old surface mounting type? can you show a picture?

Are they mounted into square galvanised boxes sunk into the wall?

Are the fixing-screw holes on the old and new faceplates at the same spacing?

The house is 12 years old so I assume they were fitted when it was built. The square boxes are indeed sunk into the wall and the screws on both faceplates are the same distance apart. It's just the new faceplates are about 3mm too big and so wont fit together in a row as things stand. I'll try and get a picture up in a bit.

Are the new ones the flat plate type? They often are bigger than the normal ones that project slightly, but whether you can get ones that aren't I don't know.

If you can't you may have to settle for metal ones that are the same shape as the plastic ones, or get your bolster out...

It's just the new faceplates are about 3mm too big and so wont fit together in a row as things stand
What clown put sockets that close together in the first place???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
socketwall2sh6.jpg

Well, at least that solves the well-worn problem of fumbling to get that plug into the socket in the dark...

I think you will find that the regs say there is no limit to the number of sockets as long as within 100m2 for a ring with 2.5 t and e!!!!!! new trend b-a-s

Well, at least that solves the well-worn problem of fumbling to get that plug into the socket in the dark...
it's much easier if the "socket" is welcoming and guides the "plug" into place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back