socket spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put in a 5 amp fused spur off socket, and want to hardwire two bedside lamps with light switches fitted in wall? I want to fit a room light switch separate at the door to turn on both bedside lights (so I have 3 switches for bedside lights)I am not going into the lighting circuit, as I would have to run trunking across ceiling, and I don't want that? Will be grateful for answers to my problem.

Sponsored Links
more info needed. what are the walls made of can you access under the floor. have you no access to the room above. with a little repair work you should be able to fish across the ceiling. as for wiring look at the sticky post at the start of the forum.

Sorry, walls brick, and existing light switch behind door, but where bedside lamps are going, wall is stud wall, i am going down the spur route instead of chasing around the door from the light switch (wallpapered room) :(

Sponsored Links
There are some radio and inferred remote controlled lights however the cheaper types also include dimmers and so there is a problem using CFL or LED however with these you can either have a wall switch with a battery or a TV type remote so you don't need to route cables to the switch.

What is more of an issue is how much you want to pay?

Mine are hard wired three two way switches at door and a pair of intermediate switches at one bed side lamp and pair of two way switches at the other so all lights controlled from door and main light and bedside lamp on that side controlled from each side of bed.

Have a look here and see if these would help!

Hiya ericmark,
I have run all the wires..mains socket to 5amp spur, spur to bedside light switch, light switch to light switch and cable down from each light switch to hard wired lamps?
I just want to put in light switch at door to lamps?
I am not going into light circuit, i am leaving that light switch behind door to turn ceiling light on.
Have i just got to run a live switch wire between three light switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back