Socket to sink distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a regulation on socket distance from kitchen sink or a recommendation if not regulation?

Sponsored Links
sharpspark said:
Is there a regulation on socket distance from kitchen sink or a recommendation if not regulation?

no reg but they recomend 200mm

AR

I thought the recommendation was "not within arms length". And here's me thinking that all you pros had long arms and short legs :LOL:

No regulations because everybody's kitchen is different in sizes......small, medium, large and the rich git size thats never seen his kitchen large......

Sponsored Links
I had thought it was something like arm's length away from water but I understand that there is no actual reg. So, when the electrician who originally surveyed the house highlighted the socket over the sink as a problem, there was technically nothing actually WRONG with it, just not good practice?! :confused:

depends how high "over the sink is" i would have also said it wa wrong as splash my get into the socket. not to mention wet hands unplugging what ever is pluged in

It certainly wasn't right in my view but is now being ripped out along with the rest of the wiring, and of course the sink! But having a socket 200mm away won't stop anyone using it with wet hands, indeed they could still cross the kitchen to another socket with wet hands, a little less likely I guess. So I assume that the 200mm guide is essentially to avoid splashes on the socket. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back