Sockets in the garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Currently I only have two double sockets in my garage both are spurred of the house ring mains one from upstairs and one off the downstairs. I would like to use some power tools such as table saws, pillar drills etc so for convenience and safety I would like to have a separate ring main installed obviously by a qualified Electrician as it is a new circuit and will need a certificate.
My question is How much if any of the initial work am I allowed to do? i:e can I fit the sockets to the walls and run the cable and then get an electrician in to connect eveything up and do the testing for certification basically all the donkey work,
I spoke to someone at my local building control and they seemed to think that was OK but I would just like a second opinion from a qualified person before I do any work and then find I should'nt have done it.
many thanks in advance.

Cheers:cool:

Sponsored Links
My question is How much if any of the initial work am I allowed to do?
As much or as little as the electrician is happy for you to do.

i:e can I fit the sockets to the walls and run the cable and then get an electrician in to connect eveything up and do the testing for certification basically all the donkey work,
If your electrician is OK with that, then yes. But you need to ask her, not us.

I would just like a second opinion from a qualified person before I do any work and then find I should'nt have done it.
Quite right - the last thing you should do is to install the sockets etc and then expect to find an electrician to come in and sign documents to say she did it all.

So find your electrician and discuss with her what you can do, but TBH for surface mounted sockets and cables you probably won't save a great deal by the time you allow for the fact that you'll be paying more for the materials than she will.

Hi All
Currently I only have two double sockets in my garage both are spurred of the house ring mains one from upstairs and one off the downstairs. I would like to use some power tools such as table saws, pillar drills etc so for convenience and safety I would like to have a separate ring main installed obviously by a qualified Electrician as it is a new circuit and will need a certificate.
My question is How much if any of the initial work am I allowed to do? i:e can I fit the sockets to the walls and run the cable and then get an electrician in to connect eveything up and do the testing for certification basically all the donkey work,
I spoke to someone at my local building control and they seemed to think that was OK but I would just like a second opinion from a qualified person before I do any work and then find I should'nt have done it.
many thanks in advance.

Cheers:cool:
That is a worrying response from your Local Authority Building Control, if you explained to them what you have explained above. They are wrong.
Firstly, there is nothing to stop you doing this work yourself and notifying that work to the LA and paying their fee.
However, given your view that this must be on a 'ring' it is perhaps wise that you going to obtain the services of an electrican. A radial final circuit would be probably be sufficient dependant on the expected load. Alternatively you may be able to interrupt either of the current ring final circuits and power your garage from them.
If the electrician is part of a competent persons scheme then he will need to be involved in the design, installation and testing stages. He cannot sign it off at the end as you suggest.
How much of the installation he does and therefore the price is a matter of negotiation between you and him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back