Sockets in the sink!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well almost :LOL:

We currently have a double socket spaced at just 170mm from the edge of the sink bowl :eek: It's only used for the washing machine as there is only about 50cm between the sink and hob, so theres no real room to plug in toaster or kettle etc, (not that I would put a toaster next to the sink anyway!) So it's current location is most impractical (not to mention the obvious)

Am going to be removing the 1000mm sink base unit, changing over for a 600 unit and putting a dishwasher between cooker and sink.

So from the left:
- cooker (600mm) - dishwasher (450mm) - sink base unit (600mm) - washing machine (600mm) - wall.

So I'm looking to move the socket down beneath the worktop, to power Dw and Wm. Where to place it? Do I just intercept the cable in the wall, which comes up from beneath, and move the socket to behind the Dw?

I was thinking of pulling out the cable from the wall and fitting the socket in the 600mm cupboard base, under the sink, but this is obviously unwise. A there any regs that determine positioning of sockets under worktops?

Also would there be any problem in running a short extension lead (less than 1metre) from the newly moved socket and trailing this to behind the plinth? (To avoid having to pull out the dishwasher to unplug either of the appliances)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

the position of socket outlets etc should really be 300mm from the sink.
Also using a double socket for two heavy loading appliances is unwise due to the current rating of socket outlets.

I would change the double socket into two switch fuse spurs and have two unswitched socket below the worktop.

Is the socket part of a ring final circuit and is it protected by an rcd?

The socket is on the main kitchen ring, we have an old CU which trips occasionally when using toaster, kettle, microwave, george foreman all at the same time! Now that's a big breakfast. :) The dw and wm are never used at the same time so don't see a problem with sharing socket.

If dropped beneath the worktop the socket could easily be placed more to the left so would be 300mm from sink. It would then be right behind the dw. Bit awkward but dw slides out easily enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back