sockets & light switches basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got builders in at the moment renovating a property I bought.
Its up to me to supply the electrical sockets and light switches, but I am a total novice when it comes to this.

The faceplates/covers of all the light switches are all going to be changed over.
Can I just get any faceplates and will they fit onto the old back boxes?
Will they simply be screwed onto the old back boxes or do I need to understand the back box size or something?

I am thinking about ordering online to as seems lot cheaper than screwfix type shops:
https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk...shed+Stainless+Steel+Double+Socket/3835544614
Do these packs come with screws etc or are they separate too?

That site electricalcounter.co.uk looks really cheap unless I am missing a reason why, about half price of screwfix so possible saving of £200 or more for the full house. Are all trade counters these sort of prices as if so I might as well hunt out a local trade counter who can give me the advice and I can take back anything that isnt right. Any local shops anyone can recommenced in Manchester/Oldham/ Tameside area.

Last question: the hallway light switches, downstairs hallway will have switch for downstairs hallway light and upstairs landing. Is 2 gang 2 way correct?
And upstairs landing will have switch for landing light and bathroom. 2 gang 2 way again?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back boxes and switches and sockets will all have standardised screw holes - Edit - unless really, really old.

Usually screws are included - clipped on the back.

Yes, two-gang two-way is correct.
Get one-gang two-ways, they can be used as one-way.

If you have any lights operated by three separate switches, you will need an ' intermediate' switch. These can also be used as one-way or two-way.

Prices are the same as for anything else. Some places are cheaper than others - that one is cheap.
Stick to well known brands - BG (British General) are ok.

Last edited:
Thanks EFL, pretty much cleared it up for me. I was surprised at how cheap that site is too.

The house was built in 70s so not that old so im guessing they should fit then onto the old backboxes then.

So I will get 2 gang 2 way for the hallway and landing, and 1 gang 2 way for the rest of the house.

Just incase they dont come with the screws, are these easy to pick up from any local shops and are standardised?
Cheers

70s will be standard.
That link does say special offer, I didn't look at anything else.
Yes to switch types.
Yes, screws available anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that if switching from plastic switches to trendy flat metal you can sometimes have problems with the boxes no longer being deep enough, then it's a different world...

Bear in mind that if switching from plastic switches to trendy flat metal you can sometimes have problems with the boxes no longer being deep enough, then it's a different world...

So what usually happens then, pull the box out and make it a bit deeper and refit?

Or possibly have to fit a deeper back box after knocking out a bit deeper?

So what usually happens then, pull the box out and make it a bit deeper and refit? Or possibly have to fit a deeper back box after knocking out a bit deeper?
By the time you've removed the box and made the hole deeper, it would make no sense to do anything other than put in a box of the appropriate (deeper) depth.

Kind Regards, John

True, but the link doesn't show trendy flat sockets, presumably the switches will match.

That BG range is fine in standard boxes, no deeper than a normal plastic switch.

I’ve used electrical counter before specifically for BG accessories because they’re cheaper than the wholesaler we use who are not a BG stockist. They are one of the cheapest places for them I’ve found - must be a quantity thing that means they can sell them at that price.

Can also have a ditto problem if the switches are on really shallow boxes and you want dimmers.

Walls which aren't nice and flat can cause problems with flat plate accessories.

Individual accessories very close together can cause problems with flat plate ones.

1970s wiring is recent enough for the lighting circuit(s) to have had an earth, BUT people sometimes play fast and loose with maintaining continuity of it, particularly if any double-insulated light fittings have been installed in the last 40 years, so no metal light switches should be installed without a proper test done to verify that the earth at each switch position actually is one. Olly - who will be installing the accessories, the builder, or an electrician?

In addition to the above, if you choose to change any of your light switches to dimmers, you might run into the depth problem.
If you choose to fit sockets with USB on board, you might run into the depth problem.

OK, BAS beat me to it by seconds

BG make 25mm compatible USB sockets, not sure if they’re part of the nexus range but they do do them

I think they are Nexus range. Unfortunately they aren't quite always 25mm compatible, it's a little marginal sometimes. "25mm compatible provided you have no more than 2 cables, no bigger than 2.5mm2 and entering the box from certain directions only" would be more accurate. There's a lump on the back that fouls one entry point of a standard backbox completely*, one of the bottom ones I think.

*They may have improved on the design since I last used them

Can also have a ditto problem if the switches are on really shallow boxes and you want dimmers.

Walls which aren't nice and flat can cause problems with flat plate accessories.

Individual accessories very close together can cause problems with flat plate ones.

1970s wiring is recent enough for the lighting circuit(s) to have had an earth, BUT people sometimes play fast and loose with maintaining continuity of it, particularly if any double-insulated light fittings have been installed in the last 40 years, so no metal light switches should be installed without a proper test done to verify that the earth at each switch position actually is one. Olly - who will be installing the accessories, the builder, or an electrician?

Thanks, electrician who is being subbed by the builder will be installing all the electrics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back