Socket Spacer Plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Silly question I'm sure but I wanted to check before purchase.

Can I use any double socket spacer plate with any other double socket?

I am thinking of getting these from Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-2-gang-spacer-white/2105j?_requestid=410488

Which are for these:

https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk...t/1999781414?gclid=CLK81OzCxNECFcMp0wodhEkOoA

The reason is that some of the sockets just don't have the space for them to run flush with the wall so some will have spacers.

I would just like to confirm as I can collect them tomorrow and get them put in if they will be OK.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Well, the screw holes will be in the same place but they may not be exactly the same size or corner shape as your sockets.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would need one specifically for the sockets so they would match?

Thanks

James

is the problem, that the metal backboxes in the wall are too shallow? Or there is too much cable to squash it flat behind the faceplate?

Post some photos please. Sockets vary in bulk.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that the back boxes are too shallow. The cables are also the wrong colour for what they do but that's another job for another day.

I have attached a picture of the socket below.

DSC_0169.JPG

FFS THOSE CABLES ARE WIRED INTO THE WRONG TERMINALS!!

turn off the power and do not use the sockets until this is corrected.

Yes that's correct they are indeed and I am in the process of doing this currently I just need advice on the spacer so I can fit the socket.

That socket does not fit because it's a horrid flat fronted type and requires a box which is 10mm deeper.
Any standard socket will fit there without a spacer.

I can collect them tomorrow and get them put in if they will be OK.
You can't as the product is out of stock and not available to order either.

As for the wiring - how could anyone get it that wrong when the terminals are colour coded.

The cables are also the wrong colour for what they do but that's another job for another day.

Was the old socket connected like that
I cant believe that it would have been

As for spacers, they will look rubbish, flat plate sockets are designed to be, well err flat.
Most spacers are likely to be smaller than the plate anyway.
Can you not just get fancy normal sockets and forget about spacers

As for the wiring - how could anyone get it that wrong when the terminals are colour coded.

Is that not his new socket, I read it that he just copied the OLD socket.
That old socket being connected same but the colours not being L N E as they should be, which seems hard to believe

EDIT
The sockets you have linked too state they fit a 25mm box which you have, so why do you want spacers

the old socket (if "old") would not have had two earth terminals. The terminals might have been arranged differently.

Ok to clarify a few things...

The old socket was connected as shown in the picture. I did check the labels on the terminals to confirm and made sure they went to the correct terminals. I checked after connection and the socket tester says it's cabled correctly. I still think it's wrong and I am going to test the cables when I get my multimeter from the garage.

I appreciate what your saying about the flat plate but it doesn't go all the way in hence the need for a spacer.

Thanks

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back