Sockets with big terminals!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a single socket that I'd like to change to a double.

I purchased a converter socket - essentially a double socket with the screw holes in the position to match a single socket box - as I thought it would make life easier (I think it is WK branded).

However, upon removing the single socket I discover that the house is wired using the stranded copper wiring that was common in the 1970's (Red and black with a grey PVC sheath). It appears in good nick, it's just fatter than the modern solid core type stuff.

Question is, does anyone know of a range of sockets that have bigger than average terminal holes, which are suitable for the older style wiring? I'd obviously prefer a converter type socket but just a double socket and pattress box would suffice.

Sponsored Links
Not off hand.

I imagine the wires are twisted together - this was the norm in the 60s.

It may pay to un-twist the wires.

Once you have done this, it's very likely you will need to re-strip the ends, as they will be brittle.

Having done this, twist each wire end neatly indiviually.

By doing this the wires should fit reasonably easily into the terminal.

If its just one cable (large, imperial), then I have done what you have using an MK.

But I agree, it can be a pain getting cables previously prepaired for round holes into these modern square holes :(

Sponsored Links
Crabtree terminals seem quite big, and the maker says they each fit two 4mm conductors, I doubt your old ones are bigger than that.

WK is a rather cheap brand. MK and Crabtree should be fine for stranded cable, though it depends what size it is. I spent yesterday afternoon swapping sockets on 7/.029 ring finals and Crabtree was fine. No wherenear as good as thier older large round terminals though. :( 7/.036 or modern 4.0mm² and 6.0mm² can be much more difficult with the new minature terminals now fitted to most brands.

But I agree, it can be a pain getting cables previously prepaired for round holes into these modern square holes :(

I think the design engineers must be thick c**** and have no idea how their products are used or installed. Oh wait, I should have said design accountants. We don't use square section conductors!

The original socket is a 1973 vintage MK branded socket. Terminals are turned brass and it has nice chamfers around the entry holes and lovely big screws, with a proper slot on the top!

Unfortunately, re-stripping the wire and neatening up the strands doesn't help; the wire starts to go into the terminal and gets stuck before it's all the way in - it's that narrow a hole. I suspect this isn't helped by the entry holes being non-chamfered.

I agree that the designers are a bit stupid. Surely they must realise that this type of socket will often be used to upgrade older installations and thus are likely to be wired with the older, thicker wires?

The only plus side is that it's copper wire and not the aluminium stuff that was used in the 1970's..

I guess their intentions were good. Having 3 or more conductors in a round terminal can mean one of them gets displaced away from the ideal position.

Maybe they should have put that flexible metal tabs in the terminals like they do with alarm terminals.

I fitted one imperial cable (equivalent of about 7mm+!) into a modern MK.

I bet your 1970 MK has a small earth terminal though!!!

You could of course fit 30 amp connector blocks and some short lengths of equivalent wire at the back of the socket if you're really struggling.

Two cables, that's what's making it tricky.

Can't remember what the earth terminal was like, but will check.

Yes, I could patch in some new cable with a terminal block, but somehow it'd feel nicer if I could go straight into the socket.

You could of course fit 30 amp connector blocks and some short lengths of equivalent wire at the back of the socket if you're really struggling.

Some kind soul wired my cooker circuit in 16 mm. I need to split that behind the switch and wire on to a further switch.

Two cables, that's what's making it tricky.

Can't remember what the earth terminal was like, but will check.

Yes, I could patch in some new cable with a terminal block, but somehow it'd feel nicer if I could go straight into the socket.

Any reputable socket will accept two stranded 2.5-4.0 mm2 stranded wires in each terminal.

You need something by a decent manufacturer.

I know for a fact I managed to get at least two stranded 2.5 mm2 wires in a Clipsal Converta.

OK, I have purchased some MK double sockets and to be honest the terminal holes don't look overly big (But I haven't tried them yet).

*If* I need to put terminal blocks in there, as Sparkwright suggests, what would people recommend? Personally, I don't like the nylon "chocolate block" type of connectors as they just feel a bit cheap and wrong, somehow.

Can anyone recommend any quality terminals, small enough to push into a single socket mounting box, that comply with all current legislation? Would 30A ceramic terminal blocks be suitable, eg: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/3/hylec-ceramic-terminal-block

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back