Sockets with big terminals!

OK, I have purchased some MK double sockets and to be honest the terminal holes don't look overly big (But I haven't tried them yet).
Well, they're big enough.

*If* I need to put terminal blocks in there, as Sparkwright suggests, what would people recommend? Personally, I don't like the nylon "chocolate block" type of connectors as they just feel a bit cheap and wrong, somehow.
Just use the normal ones, for goodness sake.

Can anyone recommend any quality terminals, small enough to push into a single socket mounting box, that comply with all current legislation?
Yes, the normal ones.

Would 30A ceramic terminal blocks be suitable, eg: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/3/hylec-ceramic-terminal-block
Depends what you mean by suitable - unnecessary, definitely.

Oh, of course you could just connect wires to the socket.

Sponsored Links
OK, I have purchased some MK double sockets and to be honest the terminal holes don't look overly big (But I haven't tried them yet).

Well, they're big enough.

*If* I need to put terminal blocks in there, as Sparkwright suggests, what would people recommend? Personally, I don't like the nylon "chocolate block" type of connectors as they just feel a bit cheap and wrong, somehow.
Just use the normal ones, for goodness sake.

Can anyone recommend any quality terminals, small enough to push into a single socket mounting box, that comply with all current legislation?
Yes, the normal ones.

Would 30A ceramic terminal blocks be suitable, eg: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/3/hylec-ceramic-terminal-block
Depends what you mean by suitable - unnecessary, definitely.

Oh, of course you could just connect wires to the socket.

Actually, just checked and the holes in the back of the MK sockets are not quite big enough.

I'm suspicious of the nylon terminal blocks as they are unmarked and I was under the impression these things should be stamped as complying to a certain British Standard?

*If* I need to put terminal blocks in there, as Sparkwright suggests, what would people recommend? Personally, I don't like the nylon "chocolate block" type of connectors as they just feel a bit cheap and wrong, somehow. Can anyone recommend any quality terminals, small enough to push into a single socket mounting box, that comply with all current legislation? Would 30A ceramic terminal blocks be suitable, eg:...
Just because they are cheap and simple, there's nothing wrong which 'chock blocks' - goodness knows how many millions of them must be in service. There is really no point in considering (brittle) ceramic ones unless one is talking about a potentially high temperature environment. They are also likely to be quite bulky.

Kind Regards, John

30Amp Chock Blocks are fine to use inside a socket box, as in your case. They only pose a problem if they are left exposed, i.e. not fitted within a socket type back box.

Sponsored Links
The way to tell if a 30 amp connector block is no good is if the screw goes round and round and doesn't tighten up.

OR, if when tightened, the brass block 'cracks' or 'splits'. Usually you can hear this.

These are the problems with cheap ones.

Try Bakelite connecters, usually better quality than nylon ones but less bulky than ceramic ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back