Soil Pipe Vent???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i live in a block off 4 town houses build in 2001 by persimon,
for a while now every one has complained to each other about the smelling toilets and showers?
i have started to rip apart our family bathroom and behind where the soil pipes are and all the other pipes.
i have discovered that inside where they were all hid behind tiles the soil pipe comes from the two toilets then goes down as it should , but there is also a pipe going straight up into no where and this seems to be where the smell is coming from.
Question should this be like that?
can i block it off
or should that vent be going out off the house ie through loft space?

please help

Sponsored Links
I can`t believe they would omit the durgo valve, Not a major National Builder of repute :idea:

i cant beleive a national builder would fit a durgo instead of doing the job properly by fitting a vent to outside

Sponsored Links
I can`t believe they would do the durgo to save a few £££

I can't believe it's not butter.
....I wondered why my sandwiches tasted a bit odd...... :confused:

Usual practise would be to fit an open vent, extending out of the building, well clear of windows etc. at the head of a drain run. Other connections to the run may be either open vented, with the vent run outside as above, or terminated inside with an AAV.

If there is no open vent anywhere, pressure may build up in the drain, forcing sewer gases back through traps. Air admittance valves don't release trapped gases, they only allow air in if the pressure drops too low.

I can`t believe we`ll ever know :cry: . The OP has dissapeared into the ether :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back