Solar panel install in Southampton area at cost for MCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been let down by a chap who said he wanted an install and now doesnt!!

I need to show an inspector a solar panel installation in order to gain accreditation to the MCS scheme, all before September 30th!

I am willing to do the install at cost so it is agreat chance for someone to have solar panels at a low price!

pm me or reply if you are interested

btw, i would stick it on my house but i rent and the landlord lives in India!

Sponsored Links
Don't blame him.

Some people do come to their senses, you know.

Not enough to put a stop to parasites like you, but hey - it's a start.

I need to show an inspector a solar panel installation in order to gain accreditation to the MCS scheme, all before September 30th!
My heart bleeds for you.

I am willing to do the install at cost so it is agreat chance for someone to have solar panels at a low price!
That'll be "low" in relative terms, will it, rather than "low" in terms of making any economic sense whatsoever.

Don't blame him.

My heart bleeds for you.

That'll be "low" in relative terms, will it, rather than "low" in terms of making any economic sense whatsoever.

Tosser :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Don't blame him.

My heart bleeds for you.

:eek: :?: whats all that about then bas

It's about the fact that the only way people can be persuaded that microgeneration of electricity with solar panels in these latitudes makes economic sense is to pay them for their electricity at 4-5 x the rate that companies who operate hugely complicated and expensive power stations and distribution grids and metering businesses and sales and marketing and constant TV advertising can sell it for and still make a tidy profit. And don't forget that the price the end consumer pays for grid electricity contains more than one chunk of profit.

A few months ago wholesale electricity prices peaked at 5.625p/unit - the average over time is less than that, and do you think that the generating companies are running their businesses at a loss?

So where does the money come from to pay people with solar panels so much for their output?

From the electricity suppliers, and they get it from their customers.

And can all of their customers afford to put solar panels in? No they can't, so what the electricity companies are doing is taking money from their poorer customers and giving it to their better off ones to help fund a hobby with no real environmental benefits whatsoever.

It's a disgusting form of wealth redistribution, and I stand by my comment that anybody who profits from it is a parasite on society.

probably old and bitter, divorced, usual stuff
OK then - give us the figures for how much electricity solar panels will really generate over their lifetime in this country. And I mean really generate, not the figures assumed by the people making and selling them, and not the nominal amount assumed by the FIT scheme.

Then look at what the true costs of installing and maintaining and then at EOL removing and scrapping PV panels would be over that period, including either financing costs or the loss of interest on the capital sum, were there no FIT schemes.

Do you honestly think anyone would bother? All the FIT system does is to shift the economic burden onto someone else, and it does ******-all about the lamentable real-world performance of PV in a country which doesn't get much daylight in winter, let alone sunshine, even in Southampton.

So why should people on low incomes pay more for their electricity so that people much better off than them can be subsidised to do something pointless which nobody in their right minds would do were it not for the poorer people chipping in?

Try to convince BAS (and me) that PV works !

Some true headline figures:-

Cost of kit
Cost of installation
25 year maintenance plan
365 (maybe split in to the 4 seasons) showing generation levels for 12/16 panel system.

One big question relates to the PV cell life, do you use a product that is guaranteed over the full period / life ?

What happens regarding cleaning dirt and bird poo from the units ?

If UK Gov change the tariff in a decade down to the 12p kwh 'average' cost, how would you protect your clients 'investment' ?

I'm all ears, happy for you as a reseller to prove that ROI does exist. At the moment many believe PV is snake oil and that only huge installations on mass spaces such as flat block roofs will ever be viable.

Please, please defend your corner and try to sort myths from hard fact.

PV may give hope here for the great unwashed – apparently at least one company is offering (with lots of strings attached) to supply and install the panels for ‘free’. You simply have to agree to let them have the proceeds from feeding the energy back into the supply network.

The fact that supply network was never designed for, and is largely unsuited to, embedded generation seems not to register – I wonder if Joe public will be expected to pay for it to be upgraded to a ‘smart grid’. Never mind - that should present a nice new challenge for software system hackers everywhere – think of the fun they will have.

PV and small scale wind generation has always made sense for ocean going yachts – partly because of the shortage of 1000 mile long extension leads :D. However, most boat owners will tell you that it has to be linked to a storage battery to be of any real benefit, as the energy input is erratic to say the least.

Guess what the latest ‘idea’ is ‘time shifting’ – that is using storage batteries but with a much nicer name that does not mention that lead acid and Li-ion batteries require mother earth to be ripped apart to get the materials to make them.

BTW I am actually ‘qualified’ to install PV – I did a course and I have a nice card with may picture on it – apparently I will forget all I know in 2014 as it expires then.

I haven’t actually installed any though because I still haven’t attended a course on working at height :D

I can see a couple of guys replacing some damaged/missing roof tiles on a 2-storey house right now.

All you need for working at height is a ladder and some grippy trainers.

I hear your concerns, but your opinion is just that and backed up by no hard fact(s) just a pessimistic attitude.

We live in a capitalist society, we will always have the 'haves' and the 'have nots'.

What are the best conditions for pv?

What happens when demand increases for pv?

What are the consequences of introducing a renewable mindset into the general public?

try and make the next post positive!

:eek: :eek:

Well I wouldn’t ask “What are the best conditions for pv?”.

Rather I would ask what are our future energy needs and how can we best meet them. Then from the whole array of possibilities – that start with using less in the first place - I would look at the most cost effective in terms of money and impact on the environment, both here and in Bolivia and China.

Having done that, and this bit should be easy for you given your location – I would walk down to the seaside and watch the tide coming and going out twice a day – or actually more where you live :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back