Solar panel install in Southampton area at cost for MCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bas,
The poor will always pay disproportional whether that's as a part of their income or the fact that they often have to use prepayment meters.
We are going to have to pay far more to subsidise the build of the many needed Nuclear power plants. That subsidy is going to be far greater than that given to the renewables industry.

I agree that all our renewables are still yet to prove their worth.
PV produces little power per m2 and £ invested. Without the benefit of the FIT it wouldn't make financial sense in most cases.

Solar thermal is by far the better option of all our renewables at the moment but that too has it's enermies.

Wind has a hidden expense too that is often overlooked. Off peak production not wanted but paid for by us. Down time due to lack of wind or maintainance, those costs are high, higher still for off shore wind farms.

Tidal may work but at what cost? my guess is it will prove to be the most costly in terms of maintainance alone if you look at what has happened to the test rigs.

Sponsored Links
It is disappointing that neither of the PV protagonists can put forward any reasoned macro commercial/financial argument for these panels.

As BAS has pointed out, there is a renewables levy on all electricty bills which is then used to cross-subsidise the F.I.T.

It truly is a remarkable instance of robbing the poor to pay the rich: i'm surprised that there has not been more uproar about it. The same system is however being used in all European countries I am familiar with.

The last "big thing" was solar-panels ( hot water) and people are now seeing how they were conned silly with the promises and "predictions" made at the time.

Have a look at the article below where one couple have saved a few pounds in 3 years, also mentioning the the Which report which is apparently generally critical of installers and their dishonesty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/greenproperty/7760365/Green-property-solar-thermal-systems.html

@Chris5

I did think that there was some legal instrument that meant in this case the FIT really is guaranteed over the (contractual ? ) period.

@ BAS

Have you finished playing in your bath now , testing the water-absorption of PIR board ? ( thread 4-6 weeks ago )

Ha - yes I have, but I lost the notes of the weights.

It does absorb water - quite a significant amount in relation to its own weight, but I'll need to do it again and make sure I don't lose the results. Also next time I want to weigh the samples at intervals after removal to see how quickly they lose the water.

Ooops didn't mean to start ww3.

Anyway my take on it:

From the business view; good thing & get on the bandwagon & pay the fee for training, because there are always the gullible ones who are for hugging trees & wearing green banners or those that belive all the tosh they read & will pay the high prices for such things as microgen/pv & the like.....loads of money to be made by contractors/big companies even if the systems are pants & save you the home owner sod all for the next 25years.

My personal view;
A fad just like solar heated water panels were....waste of time & money.
My parents some years ago had panels put up on the roof to heat the swimming pool water, more often than not the electric heater got put on instead because the panels were carp.
Any money they would have saved they lost due to servicing/cleaning of panels & repairs to damaged roof tiles post twice yearly panel wash down.

Sponsored Links
From a business POV it's a good thing if you don't give a toss about ripping people off to make money.

Like I said at the start - they are parasites.

The modern equivalent to the upvc sales man then :D

I've recently been getting calls & junk mail from companies offering courses to gain acreditation to be able to install pv, so more parasites are on the wagon bas.

Not sure that'll catch on - it's hard enough to get people to buy 1 or 2 smoke detectors, let alone hundreds. :LOL:

But CHP boilers instead of condensing, using the waste heat to power a Stirling engine could be a useful technology.

The last "big thing" was solar-panels ( hot water) and people are now seeing how they were conned silly with the promises and "predictions" made at the time.

Have a look at the article below where one couple have saved a few pounds in 3 years, also mentioning the the Which report which is apparently generally critical of installers and their dishonesty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/greenproperty/7760365/Green-property-solar-thermal-systems.html

So you're trying to condemn the whole industry by pointing out that some were over-sold and over-paid for a poorly designed and installed system, get real.

Save the whole industry then.

Provide the data which shows what the real amount of electricity generated by PV microgeneration is in a climate like ours, what the real lifetime cost of the systems is, including decommissioning and finance, and show how it's a proposition which makes economic sense without the distortion of FITs and how it will really generate a significant amount of electricity in a manner which makes it useful.

It is disappointing that neither of the PV protagonists can put forward any reasoned macro commercial/financial argument for these panels.
But hardly surprising.

It would be less painful banging our heads off the wall.

You have at no stage defended PV via figures, sorry but that comes across as an indicator that you can't defend PV as viable to a customer who makes a purchase.

How can I accept any future comment you make regard PV as anything more than "Daily Mail" journalism.
In other words an opinion you hold that has no knowledge of the real facts and therefore you are either uneducated in the subject or simply disputatious (like to argue).

What I do find hard to accept is that 2 people have opinions, and neither of you are interested in providing evidence as to why myself (or anyother person reading this post) should consider PV as a prudent cash making (or saving) device for home use in the UK.

But hardly surprising.

It would be less painful banging our heads off the wall.

You have at no stage defended PV via figures, sorry but that comes across as an indicator that you can't defend PV as viable to a customer who makes a purchase.

How can I accept any future comment you make regard PV as anything more than "Daily Mail" journalism.
In other words an opinion you hold that has no knowledge of the real facts and therefore you are either uneducated in the subject or simply disputatious (like to argue).

What I do find hard to accept is that 2 people have opinions, and neither of you are interested in providing evidence as to why myself (or anyother person reading this post) should consider PV as a prudent cash making (or saving) device for home use in the UK.

I'm not able to teach the deaf, dumb and blind. ;)

Who really cares whether you want PV or not. I don't give a monkey's. If you want to buy PV then get you're self busy and find someone that wants to sell it to you, I don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back