Solar PV Systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all!

OK, new install done.

Can anyone let me know what "should" be done to check and test a system?

And what misc bits are required - IE earth bonding etc?

I ask as I observed nothing being checked - and have doubts how accurate an install we've received!!

Many thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
no we had a company come in, but managed leave us worried so here to seek some advice.

Can anyone let me know what "should" be done to check and test a system?
Nothing for you to do, the installer should have done that and passed the documents over to you on commissioning.
And what misc bits are required - IE earth bonding etc?
Non, should have all been checked prior to install and verified via an EICR.

Sponsored Links
i know we need not do anything, but i was wondering what a installer should do, as we've seen not tests at all done, no checks prioir, during of after and to say we're concerened is mild.

Not to worry the OP but we have seen our first solar installation company disappear!
We have a customer who was complaining his voltage was too high, caused by the solar installation so we reduced our network volts,
A further complain followed as the inverter is showing "intermediate volts high". Our volts are fine so it is probably an inverter fault, trouble is the installation company no longer exists and the customer can get no interest from anywhere else to sort his problem.

is there a requirment for things to be marked/id/warning labels for example - from what i can see from the above pdf link it seems so. yet nothing is marked. it would also seem to suggest that mounting rails should have an earth. ive seen the guys work on our home before check before working stuff then again after noting ohms/resistance down yet we had a new cable installed and not checks made??! just seemed odd...

If the system was installed by an mcs registered company then a number of test on the ac and dc sides have to be carried out to comply with the rules.

Edit: the array does not usually need earthing. Labels should be in place.
A copy of the test sheets/results should be handed to the customer in the handover pack.

is there a requirment for things to be marked/id/warning labels
Yes

http://www.energynetworks.org/modx/...istributed generation/DGCG G83 S1 Nov2011.pdf

it would also seem to suggest that mounting rails should have an earth.
That could depend on other factors
ive seen the guys work on our home before check before working stuff then again after noting ohms/resistance down yet we had a new cable installed and not checks made??! just seemed odd...
There are a number of tests to be made, you require the documents. Ask for them!

Morning All - thanks for the replies!!

I was looking for a short list top 10 almost - of things I'd have expected to seen someone doing! Although we did not stand over them 24/7 - and advice and info we gave them was ignored and our home suffered damage because they know better....

We are still worried that if the simple things like putting warning stickers over everything has not been done, that more major things have been missed!

Cheers in advance - Daz

If you are not happy with the installation and not satisfied the correct procedures have been carried out.
Have a read through this: http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/mcs-standards/mcs-standards.
There is a complaints procedure.
If they have caused undue damage to your property, claim against the installers insurance. But it would be unfair to think the installer is not going to cause a degree of damage: Installation work when retro-fitting to an existing system, is not a simple task, and the dwelling often requires a degree of holing, chasing, removal of building fabrics, to complete this work. Some dwellings are of a design, age, construction and condition that is not always installer friendly.
I would be a little pyssed, if all your plaster was failing off, and you held me responsible because it was falling of the walls when worked on and the floorboards were decaying or rotten and again you thought I was responsible.
I inform the client of the potential damages that could arise, my contracts/ quotes are produced in away to disclaim from any unforeseen damage that arises from the condition of the building's fabric and also states whether I have been contracted/quoted to carry out any remedial work.

Lets have some photos.

What exactly did they do that leads you to say your 'home suffered damage'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back