Solder Joint Plumbing - How Hard It It In Reality???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst filling the new kitchen I'm going to tidy up the under sink plumbing. It appears, as we were the last house in the village to be built, that the plumber had a load of off cuts & connectors left over that he felt the need to use & has done so under our kitchen sink.

Do I have the basic principles right, from what I make out you clean with wire wool & deburr the area to be joined, apply a small amount of Flux, pop the solder ring fitting over & carefully apply heat.

So I was wondering - how difficult is solder ring plumbing.

What equipment am I likely to need in addition the the blowtorch, flux & solder?

Sponsored Links
Doing solder joints is easy, but follow a few golden rules;
Clean the pipe and the fitting up with wire wool till they sparkle first. Never do a joint if the pipe has water in, heat the joint area first then once the preheating has been done move the torch to the target!

Sponsored Links
You can buy wire bristle brushes for cleaning the inside of the fittings, buy a quality hot blowtorch from Bernzomatic or similar (a torch that is too cool will give you loads of grief), use a pipeslice for cutting the pipe and get loads of luvverly practice before you get stuck in. Try end fed fittings too where you have to add your own solder and use a quality flux. Enjoy! John :)

For some reason I can't open the link, I think it's because I'm too knowledgeable to open that website :LOL: ;)

I'm hoping I'll find it not too hard, I was at one stage an aircraft certified welder. Whilst I realise that welding & soldering are different diciplines, I'm hoping that it stands me in good sted.

Do I have the basic principles right, from what I make out you clean with wire wool & deburr the area to be joined, apply a small amount of Flux, pop the solder ring fitting over & carefully apply heat.

So I was wondering - how difficult is solder ring plumbing.

What equipment am I likely to need in addition the the blowtorch, flux & solder?
solder ring - you don`t need a roll of solder :idea: Wire wool. use a Brillo :idea: , and a small tub of La-Co flux. wipe off and flush residue after soldering . - Like, turn the taps on ;) Heat Mat can be a biscuit tin lid of an offcut of plasterboard. Save your £££ unless you want to take it up as a trade ;)

Funniest post I've seen for years, all you experienced plumbers have neglected the most important thing of all.

A FIRE EXTINGUISHER

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back