Soldering lead pipe closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an unidentified lead pipe running up the corner of a wall which I would like removed.
There was gas in lead pipe in the property but the only gas now in the property runs in copper from the meter to the boiler, so if it was gas then the pipe is no longer connected.
It may be a deadleg on the water system coming off the incoming main, pre the current stopcock and, as I said, I would like to remove it.
What are my options. I presume it needs to be nipped closed and soldered over. Without causing offense, is this something today's plumbers could be expected to do ?

andytw

Sponsored Links
There shouldn't be any tees in the incoming main before the stopcock unless your dwelling is a house to flat conversion and this old pipe feeds upstairs.
You will need to trace out this pipe before taking the decision to cut it.

I'm not experienced in soldering lead, having done it only twice before, the majority of examples I have seen are to solder a piece of copper pipe into the cut end, then cap the copper.

Can you post a picture - a lot can be gleaned from that - if it`s covered with loads of paint , scrape some off , and give us an idea of diameter - thanks

Hi,

Thanks, can't do a photo. It is in a let property. I was there yesterday and have no plans to go back for a while. Will re-post as and when.
I am pretty good at soldering both in electronics and plumbing but don't want to attempt this if the pipe is just going to slump into a puddle. There is obviously a fine line between soldering the pipe and melting the pipe.
Similarly I don't want to engage a plumber only to find they don't or can't do lead.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Cut the pipe then clean the inside with a shavehook or file,flux the inside then clamp or hammer it closed (flat) then solder across.It is not difficult but take it steady with the blowtorch.Or just buy a leadlock fitting to copper.

There shouldn't be any tees in the incoming main before the stopcock unless your dwelling is a house to flat conversion and this old pipe feeds upstairs.
You will need to trace out this pipe before taking the decision to cut it.

Hi,

It is an old turn of the century terraced house. The 'stopcock' that is used is at the back of the house and I would guess was fitted in the 40's or 50's.
A builder told me he reckoned the water came from the front of the house with the road stopcock being the true shutoff for at least this property.
The pipe in question is traced, in that it is in the corner of a downstairs wall going up and there is no need for a connection to upstairs as I know where the upstairs and the downstairs get their water and it is all in copper.
Before cutting I would make sure I isolated the property from the street, rather than rely on my 'stopcock' at the back of the house and even then I would probably start with a small bradawl rather then a hacksaw.

andytw

[
Before cutting I would make sure I isolated the property from the street, rather than rely on my 'stopcock' at the back of the house and even then I would probably start with a small bradawl rather then a hacksaw.

andytw
If it`s a lead water pipe you wont get into it with a bradawl - use a small dia drill :idea: . then if it turns out live , you can seal the hole by peening it over

[

andytw
If it`s a lead water pipe you wont get into it with a bradawl - use a small dia drill :idea: . then if it turns out live , you can seal the hole by peening it over

Oh..Ok. Why is that ? Is it harder ? I thought lead was lead.
Understood re drill.

andytw

Lead pipe is not pure lead, it's an alloy, typically lead with a small amount of antimony which makes it much harder and resilient than lead alone.

Not the hardness - the thickness of the walls ( for mains pressure ) a pipe with OD of c 3/4" may be a bore of 1/4" .Used to be supplied per foot run x weight - to denote wall thickness /pressure carrying . A gimlet used to be the tool for opening up lead pipes ;)

Is there a combi boiler there? It is probably the old rising main and if the tanks have come out or are disconnected then it is highly possible that the pipe is just a dead leg as you have said. If there are tanks in use is it possible that the lead pipe is the rising main feeding them.

Ah, I could get my wiping cloth & clamp out!! Wiped 100s of Ball Joints in my time....... ;)

Working in an attic on Sunday I came across some old Gas pipe & fittings.
Anyone got any details of Gas pipe installation from the late 19th centurary?
All done by Plumbers/Gas Fitters.
Cheers chaps.....👍

Is there a combi boiler there? It is probably the old rising main and if the tanks have come out or are disconnected then it is highly possible that the pipe is just a dead leg as you have said. If there are tanks in use is it possible that the lead pipe is the rising main feeding them.

Yes combi in there now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back