Soldering Question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just had my first attempt at soldering using pre-soldered joints.
During the heating process saw the solder seep to the edges on top of joint but saw nothing at the bottom. This, I'm sure with hindsight, was only due to the viewing angle. This uncertainty caused me to possibly provide heating a little longer than required.
I've had the soldered joint under load now for a couple of days and the joint seems good.
I was just wondering if the slight over cooking might have any repercussions on the lifespan of the joint.

Many thanks in advance////Mccfuzz

Sponsored Links
Has the copper gone dark brown/Black? If not you should be fine.

Which type of flux did you use?

A little extra heat is fine, as long as the solder has run allthe way round the circumference.

I'm paranoid about these things, and often use soldiered fittings but add a little extra solder when hot to make sure I've got it all the way round

Hi Mogget,

I purchased both the joint and from B&Q so assumed they were compatible. Can't remember the brand name but it was white in colour.

Sponsored Links
Flux can be very personal, one person likes laco, next gets on better with everflux etc... I'd advise against buying any cheap diy shed flux. If you're going to do a lot of soldering then it might be worth trying 2 or 3 before you settle.

If you're just doing a small job though it wouldn't be worth it, but some fluxes need more pipe cleaning than others depending on how aggressive the flux is.

I must admit that if I'm using solder ring fittings I tend to use a little extra solder, but I usually use end feed fittings, I find they're easier and neater.

If you have a doubt you would be testing to 1.5 times working pressure, but given it sounds like you are doing this as a DIY'er you probably don't have a test pump.

If it is holding your mains pressure then I wouldn't worry, unless you were cooking it for 5 minutes (y)

I have a poseable mirror on a selfi stick for those awkward to get at joints just for peace of mind (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back