Soldier bricks and new opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

So new here and after some urgent advice.

The external door that was originally between the conservatory and the house did not have a proper frame and has had to be ripped out.

In doing so we have noticed there is no lintel but soldier bricks. Currently these aren't supported as we are awaiting the plasterer to square off the door opening.

My question is can we just fit a new wooden door frame in this opening or do we need a lintel?

Can I have this open for a couple of weeks or does it need supporting urgently?

We have indemnity insurance for this opening the conversatory and another opening as we have only been here 2 months. Is it worth raising?

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_072644930.jpg
    PXL_20220908_072644930.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
You need this moving to Building. I've asked the mods to do it for you.
You will also need at least one other photo, further back to give some sort of idea what anyone is looking at.

I would advise exposing the soldier course further to see what is above and how it has been laid? Also, some more detail on the span and loadings would help to give you more accurate advice.

I wouldn't advise relying on a new timber frame to support the soldier course.

I had a similar issue when I built my own extension, although I installed an aluminium bifold in the one opening and nothing in the other.

I installed three layers of Helifix bar and resin to form a beam, the top two layers going in the bed joint, and the bottom layer chased in half way up the soldier course to act in tension and also prevent the soldier course dropping out of position.

Three years later and no problems.

1662637474607.png

Sponsored Links
This is the opening and we just don't know what to do about it. The frame supporting it wasn't actually doing anything in the first place as we found out.

Need it sorting urgently to be honest and don't know where to begin.

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_130732720.jpg
    PXL_20220908_130732720.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 57
Easy enough to fit a single leaf steel or concrete lintel in the outer skin. Are you proposing to do.it yourself or get someone in? In the meantime you could hire an acrow or a length of 4x2 timber wedged vertically under the centre of the opening to support it.

Indemnity insurance will do nothing.

Which way are upstairs joist spanning. If they are perpendicularly to the opening get them soldiers supported withe a plank and a couple of acrows or length of timber asap

Which way are upstairs joist spanning. If they are perpendicularly to the opening get them soldiers supported withe a plank and a couple of acrows or length of timber asap

hey its only the outer skin of the cavity so not load bearing on the floorboards :)

Easy enough to fit a single leaf steel or concrete lintel in the outer skin. Are you proposing to do.it yourself or get someone in? In the meantime you could hire an acrow or a length of 4x2 timber wedged vertically under the centre of the opening to support it.

Indemnity insurance will do nothing.
I have cerebral palsy so cannot do it myself sadly.

is it worth just getting an rsj installed as we would rather just leave it all open plan?

hey its only the outer skin of the cavity so not load bearing on the floorboards :)
Oops yes no problem then, only triangular weight of brickwork above it worry about, keep your hard hat on and try not to walk beneath it.

Oops yes no problem then, only triangular weight of brickwork above it worry about, keep your hard hat on and try not to walk beneath it.

Ha ha love sarcasm.

Got a concrete lintel going in on Saturday. Will it be ok till then?

Last edited:
Ha ha love sarcasm.

Got a concrete lintel going in on Saturday. Will it be ok till then?
The worst that could happen is that a triangle of masonry from above will fall out.

But as you’re telling us the door frame wasn’t even supporting the masonry my guess is that it will be ok.

Try not to slam any doors in the meantime :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back