solid fuel unvented heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

any of you good engineers familiar with unvented solid fuel boiler
for heating only, have been advised 50/50 on installation even though all safty measures are inplace inclueding two pressure/heat release valves
automatic fill and 12 litre expansion vessel auto air vents, boiler has auto air flow shut off, heatleak rad, pipe stat to programmer and pump, What more do i need ? any help thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi

for heating only, have been advised 50/50 on installation even though all safty measures are inplace inclueding two pressure/heat release valves
automatic fill and 12 litre expansion vessel auto air vents, boiler has auto air flow shut off, heatleak rad, pipe stat to programmer and pump, What more do i need ? any help thanks in advance.

All solid fuel must be open vent in UK.

Hi

Would it only be a bad engineer that would disagree with the plan? You would be building a bomb.

Would it only be a bad engineer that would disagree with the plan? You would be building a bomb.

Not necessarily, you could incorporate safety devices to ensure it worked safely, most steam boilers were unvented solid fuel. But they weren't for domestic use and there is a raft of legislation covering steam boiler operation because too many of them did explode.

But the UK rules require that solid fuel boilers must be open vented.

Sponsored Links

Not necessarily, you could incorporate safety devices to ensure it worked safely, most steam boilers were unvented solid fuel. But they weren't for domestic use and there is a raft of legislation covering steam boiler operation because too many of them did explode.

But the UK rules require that solid fuel boilers must be open vented.

Hi
The reason for the solid fuel boiler is i have gas central heating, ( combi )
winter bill £ 800.00, i can get an endless supply of logs free of charge,
the stove boiler would be fitted in the kitchen which has a flat roof and is impossible to have gravity fed, or header tanks due to the up stairs rads.
i thought about heating only the down stars rads then i could have open vent for the solid fuel and using gas for up stairs.
I do intend to have every safety measure in place and as you say unventented boilers were being used for over 100 years and yes with problems, but so has vented systems when thermostats fail and vent pipes blocked or expansion tank empty. your advice is very helpful

thanx

Hi
the stove boiler would be fitted in the kitchen which has a flat roof and is impossible to have gravity fed, or header tanks due to the up stairs rads.
i thought about heating only the down stars rads then i could have open vent for the solid fuel and using gas for up stairs.
I do intend to have every safety measure in place and as you say unventented boilers were being used for over 100 years and yes with problems, but so has vented systems when thermostats fail and vent pipes blocked or expansion tank empty. your advice is very helpful

thanx

You misunderstand me. Steam boilers were in use but with continuous attendance, calibrated pressure gauges, safety valves dead-weight tested annually, annual insurance inspections, etc. That is what is required to keep one safe.

. It is illegal to install an unvented solid fuel boiler in the UK; I wouldn't install one. Many wood burner boilers sold in the UK are not pressure tested and are not fit to be connected to an unvented system.

You'd probably get adequate heat into the house with just a wood burner, with no connection to the heating. You could also install the wood burner with a separate open vented system and transfer heat to the existing sealed system through a heat exchanger.

Hi

thanx

You misunderstand me. Steam boilers were in use but with continuous attendance, calibrated pressure gauges, safety valves dead-weight tested annually, annual insurance inspections, etc. That is what is required to keep one safe.

. It is illegal to install an unvented solid fuel boiler in the UK; I wouldn't install one. Many wood burner boilers sold in the UK are not pressure tested and are not fit to be connected to an unvented system.

You'd probably get adequate heat into the house with just a wood burner, with no connection to the heating. You could also install the wood burner with a separate open vented system and transfer heat to the existing sealed system through a heat exchanger.

Hi
Thanks again, for those reasons quoted i now have second thoughts and will settle for wood burner and see how it goes.

your very helpful. i don't want to push my luck but do you do a cheaper gas tarriff than scottish power. ?

With your free logs scenario , It must be a good idea for the wood burner. BUT why not run a gravity circuit across the kitchen and up and round the rest of the house . :?: As I read it - you are considering asthetics , like not having 28mm pipes on show round the house. If you intend to stay in the house then even if it looks " untidy" it won`t look so bad in 20 years when the price of gas has gone through the roof ;) .

With your free logs scenario , It must be a good idea for the wood burner. BUT why not run a gravity circuit across the kitchen and up and round the rest of the house . :?: As I read it - you are considering asthetics , like not having 28mm pipes on show round the house. If you intend to stay in the house then even if it looks " untidy" it won`t look so bad in 20 years when the price of gas has gone through the roof ;) .

hi

i don't mind pipes they can be boxed in, fire would be fitted on north wall, 2 metres vertical, 3 metres hor to east wall, 6 metres along east wall and 9 metres vertical to attic space. what would be the min fall of pipe work for gravity fed ? to keep box size to a minimum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back