Solid wall insulation- again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, apologies if I am about to ask similar questions that have been asked answered a million times, I had an hour or so of searching and couldnt find any answers to my specific points.

Here is the situation:
-Solid Wall 1910 mid terrace
-Good loft insulation- 480mm of rockwool
-9" solid walls
-Large rooms with small rads.

My 10 month old daugher is currently living in a large (4.5mx5.5m) room with a tiny radiatior, so that even though it is about 9 degrees outside the room, with heating on full blast, all day and night, doesnt get above 16 or so degrees.

I would like to insulate the outside wall in this room, which is plastered at the moment, and covered in lining paper+paint.

Here is my plan:
-Remove skirting
-50mm battens spaced apart to allow 50mm of PIR/Phenolic insulation to be placed between, with glue/silicon behind battons and also glueing insulation to battons and floor to make airtight.
-Spray expanding foam into the gap behind where the skrting was as each board is being placed
-Cover with heavy duty DPM sheeting that is then glued to ceiling, floor and the other 2 walls
-Cover with plasterboard nailed to battons.
-tape joints and paint and re attach skirting

This seems to be the easiest way for me to insulate the room with minimal disruption.(ie not taking the floorboards up)

Are there any glareing errors in my plans? If this is suitable I plan to do the rest of the upstairs this way, before moving downstairs.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the essay!!!

Sponsored Links
Use a thermal board - Lafarge thermalcheck K or Kingspan K17/K18. A 50 or 60mm board will make a significant difference and is easy to install.

Sponsored Links
I mean thermal plasterboard fixed direct to the masonry wall. Dead easy, efficient and gives a good finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back