Solid wall - internal insulation.. will it help with cooling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again. I'll be brief..

Sales rep at door, grant available specifically for those living in solid wall properties (subject to means test). I will of course perform due diligence.
Outer walls only.. so front of house (facing west) and 1st floor only at rear. And that includes re-plastering. Obviously the selling point is the saving in winter heating costs. However, solid stone walls are a peculiar creature...
My small terraced house is cosy in the winter... but expensive to cool in the summer.

My question... would internal insulation assist in preventing heat ingress from the wall during the summer months?

Sponsored Links
If there are grants available again then have a look at external wall insulation- far less disruptive, you don't lose significant internal space, you don't have to move all radiators, relocate all electrical points.........

Short answer yes it will

Medium answer below

External or internal insulation will keep the house at a different temperature from outside with less energy input required than if the insulation wasn't there. External has the advantage of increasing the thermal mass of your house (so the walls become 'inside' instead of being on the border)- this will keep temperatures stable. Your stone walls are pretty transparent to heat- if it is hotter outside than inside then heat moves towards outside, if it is cooler inside than out then heat moves from outside to in. Insulation increases the resistance to heat moving, it doesn't warm or cool anything. What it does do is keeps any energy you've used to either warm or cool the place inside for longer.

look at external wall insulation- far less disruptive
and will look pants on just one of a terrace.

Be very wary of internal insulation on a solid wall. Insulation will make the wall colder (in winter) , making it more susceptible to internal condensation, and damp brickwork conducts heat far better than dry brickwork (more info on https://www.heritage-house.org/ ). If the external face of the brick is rendered and/or sealed then be double-wary because any interstitial condensation won't evaporate outwards through the waterproof render.

External not available.. also would look awful and would compromise on-kerb parking (tight enough as is).
Front external is rendered (prob no lime), bathroom and kitchen are in the extension, door between.
Condensation.. this was on my list of concerns.. no point solving one issue only to later find out that you've created a bigger one elsewhere.
I may get them around for a 'free survey' just to pick their brains (I'll play dumb)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I may get them around for a 'free survey' just to pick their brains (I'll play dumb)
If by "them" you mean the sales rep I can 100% guarantee they will have a "solution" .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back