Solid wood worktop protection in a rental flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know there are already loads of tips available about preserving the beauty of your wood worktops, but my query is a little different.
I have just taken on responsibility for managing a rental flat that’s got a wooden worktop in the kitchen. It’s not in the best state - lots of marks, stains and is worn in places - so I was planning to sand it to get the worst damage out and re-oil to make the colour uniform.
But is there something I can then apply over the top to make it totally impregnable to water and grease? Maybe even an exterior varnish? Or are they all dangerous in a food prep area…?
I’m not that fussy about the appearance and I wouldn’t have chosen this for a rental property. What’s more I won’t have chance to re-oil every few months!

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 3ED1C412-D6D9-41CA-810F-3C80827F2BF3.jpeg
    3ED1C412-D6D9-41CA-810F-3C80827F2BF3.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi @foxhole
Thanks for your response! I’ve taken a look at the Osmo range and the reviews look good - talking about years, fingers crossed, of protection.
I’ll give it a go. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
@chirpychippy Thank you!!
RPC is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of, but wasn’t sure existed. Lots of people saying it’s much better than oil. I’m ordering it now. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back