SOLVED - 24/12 Vaillant Turbomax Blows Fuse When Fan Connected to PCB - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Yes, but the second G.S.E. said to change the PCB, which was wrong. I can't keep making costly shots in the dark. I just wanted a discussion about potentially already experienced issues with fans that could lead to a blown fuse.

Yes, the pump is running fine ostensibly. It made some gurgling noises to begin with, so I kept turning it off after 10 secs and releasing any pressure with the front screw valve. Eventually it setteled down nicely and is behaving well now, I think.

Yes, they are booked for tomorrow for £300. However, I would like to understand the issue myself. Everytime I rely on registered experts they are wrong. Go figure.
and you think that your boiler has a pilot light and you expect us to help you with that kind of attitude , you go figure

Sponsored Links
I think he will be having a (cold) white Christmas unless he has a fire place and I have some logs.

Ok so update for anyone interested...

Phoned GSE to remonstrate his poor diagnosis. He's sorry to have cost me time and money.

Was he actually paid for his diagnosis?

The normal situation is for the GSE to diagnose the problem, bring and fit the part!

Then if it does not fix the boiler you don't need to pay for the part he thought was faulty!

Tony

Your very rude with some of your comments and sound like a customer from hell, u could have saved urself a fortune in money an wasted bloody time faffing about. Is this a wind up? U removed the front case? Changed a main safety component urself? Wondered y it don't work ? Jesus yes we know whats up with it but I'm afraid u deserve all u get

Your very rude with some of your comments and sound like a customer from hell, u could have saved urself a fortune in money an wasted bloody time faffing about. Is this a wind up? U removed the front case? Changed a main safety component urself? Wondered y it don't work ? Jesus yes we know whats up with it but I'm afraid u deserve all u get

Hi Bunnyman, not sure I've been rude to anyone, certainly not on here. Apologies if I came across that way but as you can imagine, no heating and hot water at Christmas was proving a bit of a nightmare. To be honest, I felt some people were rude to me and each other in this thread but there you go, you see it as you see it.

So I have successfully repaired my boiler without having to resort to the Vaillant fixed price repair deal @ £300. I had an hour to spare before he arrived yesterday early afternoon.

I will write it up properly at some point after Xmas for others who may wander the same lonely path without any expert guidance.

It basically came down to the fan blowing the T2A fuse due to abnormal current draw as suspected. The motor windings were clearly overheated at some stage as was visible without disassembly.

Vaillant were wrong about the board, it was fine.

The fan was swapped out for a recond £50 and it fired up without blowing the fuse. But no hot water, some heating. I disassembled the diverter valve and reengaged the motor with the pin. Made sure the aqua sensor was correctly positioned at the cold water inlet tail.

The boiler fired up perfectly and has been working better than it has ever worked since we moved here. My partner is over the moon and has just enjoyed a properly hot bath and shower (it's Christmas after all) for the first time in this house.

The boiler has been running stable for almost 24 hours now and didn't want to count my chickens (turkeys?) too early but feel I have observed its behaviour for long enough now to conclude the job is completed successfully and can report in with this post.

I have adjusted no gas settings. I have replaced the engineer advised replacement PCB with my old one again because no doubt all the settings on the recond would have been at best default and at worst completely counter-productive/plain wrong. Original board is working just fine with all its original installer settings.

Thanks for the hints some of you felt comfortable offering. I realise it is hard to judge someone's potential competency from a few forum posts. I hope others who feel confident to follow the mechanical instructions in the manual to the "T" take heart from this experience and that the diagnosis process aides someone else's progress with an issue.

Vaillant were very happy for me and grateful that their engineer could get out to a customer who really needed them and wasn't getting any heat this Christmas. Saved me £300 to boot which can now be spent on maybe new rads in the new year.

Blessings to you all for this very Merry Christmas and New Year.

So I have successfully repaired my boiler without having to resort to the Vaillant fixed price repair deal @ £300. I had an hour to spare before he arrived yesterday early afternoon.

The fan was swapped out for a recond £50
and it fired up without blowing the fuse. But no hot water, some heating. I disassembled the diverter valve and reengaged the motor with the pin.

Vaillant were very happy for me and grateful that their engineer could get out to a customer who really needed them and wasn't getting any heat this Christmas. Saved me £300 to boot which can now be spent on maybe new rads in the new year.

This all seems so amazing! Almost unbelieveable!

On a Saturday, and Christmas Eve too, all within an hour, you managed to go and buy a recon fan for £50, fit it and test the boiler.

Then happy it was working you managed to cancel the visit of the Vaillant engineer!

So where can you get a recon fan on a Saturday afternoon? Even on a Christmas eve!

Tony

The fan was picked up the night before but I didn't dare/want to fit it in the dark with just a headtorch. The boiler is in the garden in its own hut. Should turn your sarc down, it's Christmas.

Merry Christmas, i'm off to visit family and enjoy a good meal.

This is a DIY forum.

Someone posted for advice. You can decline to give it if you want to. Let the mods delete anything that is prohibited.

Take a look at yourself people. You're qualified professionals policing a DIY forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I wasn't happy it was working. I still had the hot water issue but risk assessed that I would have that resolved before the daylight failed. Since everything was powered correctly and no error codes were being thrown, I surmised that the issue must lay within the diverter alone. Thankfully, I was right and by an hour after the engi's earliest arrival time I had the boiler in full flow operational stability.

A little Christmas miracle? I'd say intermediate level diagnosis and methodical problem solving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back