Some Bathroom Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies if this is no the correct forum for this enquiry but I was not sure.

After suffering a broken electric shower I have decided to take it as an opportunity to redo a very old bathroom. I will therefore be looking to get a new suite, taps, shower (gas/off the boiler) etc.

Money is fairly tight so it will be done on a budget and I was just wondering if anyone with regular experience at this type of thing could suggest any brands/suppliers they would strongly recommend or that should be steered clear of.

As I said I want to do it cheaply but I appreciate that sometimes to go for the absolute cheapest is a false economy as they'll likely pack up and need replacing far sooner than others.

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Steven

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you can get lucky in the sheds with end of range sales.
On-line I am a fan of better bathrooms, never let me down yet and prices are very fair, delivery service is good and they contact you before delivery, so generally not hanging about for them.
Don't skimp on the bath panel, the cheap ones are pain in the backside to fit and often require additional timber framework to be built, so by time you have fitted flimsy panel, paid for timber, screws and fitted it, you may have well have got a good standard quality rigid one.

If you are replacing electric shower, make sure you get one that is suitable for the cable you have or update cable, also electric shower, as will all other addition electrics within the bathroom, now require 30mA RCD protection, this may already exist, possibly my not.

Thanks for your reply Prentice - forgive my ignorance - when you say sheds what are you referring to?

Re shower - as you may recall form my other post the broken shower is electric however I think I will probably go with a one running from the boiler (sorry dont know the correct term for these type) water pressure is good and will save a bit on an electrician etc.

There's a crazy range in prices for showers and taps though, surely there cant be that wide of a range in quality?!

Sponsored Links
Sheds=The big DIY stores.
If you are running off a combi-boiler then a thermostatic shower would be suitable.
The requirements with regards to pressure and flow rate delivered would be specified on the product you choose.
Normally somewhere around 1 bar and 5l/m.

Taps and fittings can be quite expensive, I have in the past purchased from toolstation and some of there stuff was of a good quality at a fair price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back