Some constructive feedback humbly requested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please explain why it is such a bad idea to lay cardboard down on bare floorboards as an underlay prior to laying a laminated floor.
Plenty of people told me it is a bad idea but no one actually told me WHY I shouldn't do it.

I would select cardboard boxes all the same size and thickness, and same quality. They would be opened up and laid out flat, and in rows would be taped togethger along the edge ensuring they do not overlap, causing any unevenness. The sub floor is dry, even and in excelent condition.

Constructive feedback,and intelligent advice as to why it is such a bad idea, and what can go wrong,

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
cardboard very strong but
point loading is likely to compress the structure even through 9mm flooring

set up an area with 4 boards wide and a chair and get your kids to jump on it
then add a cup off water or more exactly a table spoon off water on the cardboard to replicate the amount that may get through from a spillage or damp penetration

Sponsored Links
Big-all, thanks for your reply, really quick ! I haven't any kids, it's just me on my lonesome, and you can take my word that my days of jumping up and down on furniture is but a distant memory. But me ole china, you have convinced me that it's possibly not a good idea.Does the fact that they are, 'Moisture Resistant Laminate'(AquaLoc) make any difference. I didn't realise that when I bought them.
It's amazing how much the price of the 2mm underlay varies, depending where you buy it and how you buy it. In one of our large DIY outlets, I would have to buy 2 rolls at almost £10 each to have enough to cover my front room, but if I were to drive to Southend, I could buy a 15metre roll at 1metre wide for £3.99p the whole roll and it is exactly the same product.
Anyway, cheers mate, much appreciated. Now you've explained, I'll not be taking any chances.
django47(Micky)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back