Some cracked paint - how to fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Have been asked if I can paint the outside of a house. Trouble is, its in crap condition, with a lot of cracked and peeled paint, as shown. I don't believe the render itself has cracked (although I wouldn't really know until I start to clean it all up)

Assuming its just the paint (several layers, judging by the look of it) is there a way of disguising them at all so it looks a lot better? I could use an exterior filler before painting but not sure the damage-limitation would be seemless.

Ideas? TIA

Sponsored Links
I would run in the opposite direction!

I reckon you are on a hiding to nothing there, any filler will crack out in no time and your name will be mud. :cry:

I would say all loose paint needs scraping off the surface stabilized / primed and then cracks filled and at least two coats of something good like Dulux weathershield.

Could be wrong but the worst of it looks like its around the lintel areas and the cracking caused by a bit of movement. You could scrape it all off and paint the lintels as normal, this wouldn't be uncommon to have them looking 'render free'. The rest you can only really just do the prep and filling as normal. Bedec masonry paint is very good, it has a high amount of flex and will cope better than whats on there at the moment.

I would run in the opposite direction!

I reckon you are on a hiding to nothing there, any filler will crack out in no time and your name will be mud. :cry:

I would say all loose paint needs scraping off the surface stabilized / primed and then cracks filled and at least two coats of something good like Dulux weathershield.

LOL I thought so too. I am yet to speak to her to ascertain what she is expecting from the exercise.....perfection, no hope. I am guessing that she is intending to put it on the market as she wants it done pronto, so maybe after a lick and a promise....

Sponsored Links
Could be wrong but the worst of it looks like its around the lintel areas and the cracking caused by a bit of movement. You could scrape it all off and paint the lintels as normal, this wouldn't be uncommon to have them looking 'render free'. The rest you can only really just do the prep and filling as normal. Bedec masonry paint is very good, it has a high amount of flex and will cope better than whats on there at the moment.

No, its all over the place. Looks like its been left for years. The whole area is shabby like that.

I'd remove as much of the flaky stuff as possible and then apply a coat of Peel Stop (Zinsser). Work it well into the edges of the scraped areas to bind the remaining paint down and over any cracked areas that don't yet need scraping. Then, as suggested, fill cracks and use a good quality masonry paint, giving it at least two coats.

BTW, I've used it on flaking and cracked timber, where it has worked very well. I've also used it on small areas of flaking masonry with success, but nothing as bad as what you have there.

Well, I told her straight what it would cost to sort it out properly. She said can I just slap some paint on "for now". I said no I wasn't in the business of bodging jobs so I walked away. I'd rather lose a day's money than for everyone to remember me in 3 months time when it looks terrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back