Some general feedback on a DIY business concept

Would I consider renting my tools out for extra cash?

• Yes

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Maybe / Depends

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time browser of the site, which I've found great for tips over the last few years in doing up my house.

I don't want to simply self promote or be considered a spammer, so won't share a link, but I hoped this would be a good forum to get some feedback on a concept for a website I've been developing which is targeted at tradesmen / DIY enthusiasts.

My site is a platform for renting and sharing your tools, garden and household equipment with people nearby (or anything else that people might want occasionally, such as camping gear etc.) - think AirBnB for your stuff.

It would allow you to earn cash from some of your equipment, while helping others rent items more cheaply and reducing consumption & waste.

I'd really appreciate any constructive comments or feedback from you as experts in your respective fields! In particular:
  • - Does this sound like a service you might use and list your equipment?
    - If so, what sort of functionality or features would you want to see?
    - If not, why not, and would would need to be in place to convince you otherwise?
    - Any other comments or feedback about how you or others you know might use a site such as this?

Thanks in advance; any help or advice & a quick answer to the poll very much appreciated!
Nick :)

Sponsored Links
How would it work, a free 'matching' service or something more comprehensive?

I could envisage a lot of problems with regards to insurance, damage and injuries, etc.

Is this just an idea or is there something we can take a look at ?

Sponsored Links
How would it work, a free 'matching' service or something more comprehensive?

I could envisage a lot of problems with regards to insurance, damage and injuries, etc.

Is this just an idea or is there something we can take a look at ?

There is an early version live, and I don't want to fall foul of the rules - but if you google my profile name 'lenditmendit', you'll find it.

It does allow you to see what items are nearby, and allow searching etc.

In terms of insurance it's a good point, & I'd hope to eventually perhaps offer an insurance level against any damages etc.; but in essence it shouldnt; be that different to lending to your neighbour etc.

It's a nice looking site, I'm not sure I'd use it myself but may take a look if ever I'm stuck, best of luck with it. :D

Sort of a cross between freecycle and peer to peer lending?
Probably most on here have loaned a tool to a family member and I suppose it seems the next step to loan to the local community . The obvious problem is that people will be unwilling to loan something out to someone they either don't know or at best only vaguely know. If a tradesman lends out a drill only for it to go walking it would cause him problems. A deposit could help protect from loss but it's still a faff to convert that deposit into a new drill. Rules would need setting that users must adhere to with regards to loss and damage.
Presumably "hire rates" would need to be less than from the hire shops or else no one would use you scheme. The shops wouldn't like it but then if many of us have tools that are sitting around doing , and therefore earning, nothing I can see the appeal.
How would it be organised? I'm assuming someone registrars with the scheme then say requests if someone will hire them a tool and anyone with that tool responds. Alternatively those willing to provide tools etc. would provide a list of what is available.
Not a bad idea in principal if someone is prepared to put in the work to set up.

Edit , I've now looked at the site since writing that post.

What if I lend my drill and I either do not get it back or its broken?

What if I lend my drill and I either do not get it back or its broken?

Thanks for the comments ladylola & mattylad - there would be a rating system that should quickly regulate those that are not playing fair, and also currently there's the ability to set your own deposit. Do you think these things would work?

In practice, I'd probably also need to compensate those willing to lend in the early days if the worst did happen & as per groovynooby's post, I might consider if I could provide an automatic level of insurance.

My worry would be getting the tool back, and it appears to work ok, but someone has been abusing it or giving it a hard time shortening its life or knocking it out of alignment slightly, ie say using my sds drill for a days chasing, or throwing my circular saw down on the floor after each cut. The effects dont show right away, which is why I don't loan tools. Hiring them out would not be worth the money.

I suppose one could hire out specilised tools and not normal everyday tools you can actually buy from 99p stores, yes I never buy anything expensive as a rule, I do not like wasting money on expensive tools because they too break down eventually, may nbe they might work a bit longer, especially drills and things like that, but cheaper tools can also get you going, that is if you are a DIyer, not if you were a pro.

But many on here said about what if the tool was never returned, well one can retain a deposit and charge for any wear and tear or for repairs.

And I swear to God, I have a hammer i bought for £2.50, it knocks the hell out of nails just as well as my builkder's £14.00 hammer! I couldn't see any difference in teh quality of job done, both nails were nailed and you couldn't tell which one was nailed by a expensive hammer!

There is a say, a bad farmer always blames his tools!

I'd be more worried about someone hurting themselves or something/one else and wanting to sue me for supplying faulty equipment. Imagine the damage someone could do with a planer/thicknesser or a chop saw if they didn't know how to use it safely. ...You can't hire a chainsaw anymore (but you can buy one! :eek: )

I'm not sure how well I'd sleep at night if someone fell off my ladder and ended up in a wheelchair... :unsure:

seems a good idea to me - and I`m in Sussex too ;) - I can think of tools I`d lend . Garden rotavator, mower, Tripod pipe bender for 22mm and 28mm copper pipe ,Set of stocks=dies for threading iron pipe ., Leadburning gun and hoses for oxy- acetelene bottles . Strange wheeled ladder " stand off" that spans windows so you can access above them . Why lend them - because I hardly use them and they cost me less than £200 total - mostly from auctions :mrgreen:

I would never lend tools to people I did not know. I seldom lend them to people I do know because of the problems of damage and injury that have been mentioned already.

If it is easy to borrow tools then people are likely to take on tasks and use borrowed tools without the basic skills and knowledge needed to use the tools safely. If a person has to spend money to buy or rent (*) tools then they may be less likely to take on work using hazardous tools for the first time and without the necessary skills.

(*) hired from a reputable hire company with the ability to carry out all the necessary test and repair of returned equipment. )

EDIT "with" changed to "without". ( I lack typing skills )

Sponsored Links
Back