DodgyPEB.jpg

You have to press what to override it??:

DodgyTimeclock.jpg

Refurb with NIC rewire:

DodgySingles.jpg

Dodgy Terminal Blocks:

DodgyTerminalBlocks.jpg

Sponsored Links
On that last picture with the connectors inside the cu, what is the best practice.
we had a job the other day that required the CU to be moved a couple of feet. Some of the cables would not reach, so I was told to use connection blocks, and tape up.
Some of these connection blocks will be boarded over!!

Now I know this is not right as they need to be able to be inspected, being a screwed connection.

Some of the connector blocks would be inside the CU, which I thought not very professional, but at least they would be able to be inspected.
A rewire was out of the question

I guess some kind of block you could attach to the wall to terminate in to then extend from there. I know you get Henley blocks to extend tails, though I have never done this yet. Is there a henley type block for terminating multiple cales

Though saying that the Problem is that is that a wall is being built (hence need to move CU) so nowhere to put a 'Block'

whats the proper way to extend cables

Thanks

If the connections are going to be made inaccessible then you can't use screwed joints - time to get the crimper out.

If something on the wall is possible then the neatest solution would be a small rectangular enclosure into which you install a DIN rail and a bunch of through terminals.

Just out of interest... when you are extending (what I presume is) a ring final, should the wires not be independantly extended, rather than both being put into the same connecter block? (Or is that is what is dodgy about it!)

<edit> Talking about the bottom pic! :)

Sponsored Links
crimp and heat-shrink sleeving would have done it. You can get crimps with integral heat-shrinking (a bit more expensive) which i have not used but sound even better

It is neater if you stagger the crimps so they are not all in a fat bunch, and then you can apply grey heat-shrink over them all to blend in with the cable sheath (it is not necessary to do this if they are inside an enclosure).

If you can slide conduit over each cable afterwards it can look neater (again, not bunching several cables in one conduit, to save the trouble of derating)

Cheers
Not very good at crimping yet, I only ever seem to get one tight, the other always pulls out
Im off to buy some to get a bit of practice

Oh and sorry securespark don't want to Hijack your thread with my problems

you may need to turn the crimper over to do the other end. The jaws have a "tight" and a "loose" side. Try a few and see what I mean.

There used to be a "how to crimp" link on here somewhere but I can't find it.

you are using the correct size crimps for the cable? are you an apprentice or something?

Nice bodge on that sangamo.

Not sure I'd want to press it though :eek:

Sorry, yeah, I meant to post it enlarged, but for some reason it doesn't want to. Along with the SWA, there's a really meaty bonding or earthing conductor.

nothing wrong with that..

it's a large bank of condenser or cooling coils for something.. top of a supermarket perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back