Something to remove rounded screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 hinges, 3 screws per hinge. None were great but all came out ... bar this one...

Photo 22-05-2016, 7 52 58 pm.jpg

I've tried putting a stack of pressure on there & going real slow with a PZ2.
I tried hammering a flathead in there.
I tried hammering a torx bit in there .... ruined both of those bits.

How to get this bugger out?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Since it costs me nothing to ask ... how exactly do you use them?

I see it says you drill a pilot hole in, so i guess fairly small drill bit.

Then do you use these things by hand or power drill? I'm guessing by hand - just connect in to your screwdriver & try to unscrew as normal?

Sponsored Links
Mr. Clueless, hi

There is also another way? simply drill out the screw? you have several similar screws so you can choose a drill that is just slightly thinner than the screw main body size [the shank of the screw not the thread]

Do not worry about a wide drill hole, it can be enlarged later when the screw is out, and a suitable sized Dowel inserted with a wee drop of PVA glue, you can then simply insert a new screw.

With all due respect to using a screw extractor? they do work, but I must admit I find them fiddly on wood screws?

Please tell us how you get on?

Ken.

I'd prefer to get it out if i can.

And without this it'd be left with only 2 screws ;)

I've never drilled out a screw before to be honest. Do you just get a small drill bit & do it like that or does it have to be larger than the screw itself? Type of drill bit too? Make sure it specifies metal?

We all have our own methods, Mr.C......if you can't turn the thing, forget about extracting devices, the screw shank is simply too thin.
So......if you drill the head off, the hinge will shift and the door taken away. You'll be left with a metal screw stub which you may be able to grip and turn with Mole grips. However, one of my techniques is to drill a small hole (maybe 2mm) down alongside the screw shank which will allow the screw to loosen a bit - knocking it from side to side helps. After that, tap in a match stick or two coated in PVA glue into the hole......let it set and then it's in with the new screws at your leisure.
John :)

The screw I extracted was a machine screw, achieved by using an aldi extractor set. I just used lots of pressure with my drill on a very slow speed in reverse.

I had 3 to remove, two came out using this technique. The one I tried to drill first snapped.

Good luck.

Graeme
Eta I did buy a set of left hand drill bits to remove the snapped stub, just not got round to it yet ;)

Ive suggested it before in another thread and will suggest it again...dremel a slot in the head and use a flat bit driver.
litl

I read on this forum that putting a fat rubber band over the screw head can help the screwdriver grip when it has been previously chewed up. Not tried this technique meself yet...

Drill the head off with a countersink bit or a large normal bit

Take the hinge off and then there will be enough screw to grip with pliers or mole grips

Will there be enough power in a cordless to drill the head off?

I think our mains drill died which if i remember right only leaves the 18v Makita cordless thing. My dad had a few drills that were mains powered but i know 2 went kaput & i think the third one also conked out recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back