Somethings wrong the dishwasher smells

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So for a while the missus has been moaning about, amongtother things, a funny smell when the dishwasher is on.
Covid robbed me of my sense of smell so I ignored her because she's sensiitive to smells and aftershave can give her a migraine.
Anyhow, being insured with Currys I've cslled thre engineer out becauase the salt dispenser has stopped working.
Being a kind soul I dragged the machine out from its space under the worktop to clean it before engineer arrives and found the source of the smell.
See attached pics.
Now the dishwasher works, so the fuse hasn't blown or it has just 'fused' into a continuous connection.
There is no room to rest anything against the plug as it is recessed so the machine hasn't been pushed against it.
Needless to say the machine is unplugged until engineer arrives Thursday.

Is it likely to be a socket problem, although it has only ever been unplugged once and no water ingresses, or is it likely to be a machine problem?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_161933_740.jpg
    IMG_20240326_161933_740.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240326_161938_566.jpg
    IMG_20240326_161938_566.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240326_161946_785.jpg
    IMG_20240326_161946_785.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It looks to me like the socket was originally at fault, rather than the plug, but both are now damaged and need to be replaced.

Likely a loose terminal screw.

The tip of the copper wire in the socket will have been damaged by heat and should be cut back to clean bright metal. If there is insufficient length, you may need an experienced electrician to make a good repair.

Good quality sockets tend to have good terminals. Screwfix sell Crabtree which IMO is a good brand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back