Sound Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking into sound proofing a wall in our house, the house is a Victorian Terrace and all the walls are brick. I intend to use 4x2 stud work along the said wall at 600 c/c "Save the Rain Forrests" :D . Now I am pondering on the best method of sound proofing it. I know that Blue plasterboard is used on party walls as a sound dampner, so I have this as an idea, and I know there is product known as Green Glue which is applied to the rear of the p/b, does anybody else know off any other sound proofing methods which I could look into, please and Thank you

Sponsored Links
I believe green glue is used when attaching the plasterboard directly to the wall. It is reputed to be one of the few 'miracle soundproofing' products that actually work. Ultimately, you can just fit your stud wall as normal, completely fill the void with rockwool. and double layer 12.5mm standard plasterboard and skim for very effective soundproofing. You must only attach the stud wall to floor and ceiling though, not to the wall itself. You could also fix 2x2 straight to the wall, rockwool and then fix plasterboard with resilient channel: metal strips that are 'springy' and help the wall to absorb sound.

I'd go for the first option as you'll have more depth for the insulation, and you could use 3x2 to help save the rainforests, not sure about 600 centres though, use 2 lots of noggins between each stud if you go this way.

If there are any gaps in the wall under the floorboards or where joists sit in the wall then be sure to fill these in first.

thank you very much for your reply deluks, I am looking at using 4x2 CLS as it comes out slightly narrower than 4x2 regularised and I will use 400c/c as appose to 600c/c oh and I didn't even think about under the floor boards so that is something I will have a look at aswell, thank you once again :D

Most people are disappointed with their soundproofing attempts. Once the vibrations are in the structure you can't get them out again. It is a particular problem when the room the other side of the wall is the same as yours as they have a natural resonance.

Sponsored Links
Most people are disappointed with their soundproofing attempts. Once the vibrations are in the structure you can't get them out again. It is a particular problem when the room the other side of the wall is the same as yours as they have a natural resonance.

I couldn't reply? For some reason I was ignoring you Joe, dunno how that happened, anyhoo....

Good point about resonance, but as the existing wall is brick and he is using plasterboard he shouldn't have this problem. When creating a dividing partition from new, it is always good practice to use differing materials in each side. Chuck in a layer of mdf or ply for example, although even different thicknesses of plasterboard will have different resonances. So a 12.5/12.5 wall back to back may prove to let more sound through than a 12.5/9mm. As the slight bit of extra flex in the thinner plasterboard might absorb some of the sounds which the 12.5 will transmit.

He might still have problems with low bassy sounds coming through the head and sole plates, but the majority of the noise will be cut significantly. Conversation and TV should be non-existant.

I am looking into sound proofing a wall in our house, the house is a Victorian Terrace and all the walls are brick. I intend to use 4x2 stud work along the said wall at 600 c/c "Save the Rain Forrests" :D . Now I am pondering on the best method of sound proofing it. I know that Blue plasterboard is used on party walls as a sound dampner, so I have this as an idea, and I know there is product known as Green Glue which is applied to the rear of the p/b, does anybody else know off any other sound proofing methods which I could look into, please and Thank you

Hi Chirpychippy,

Check out these forums for advice and links to other sources of info.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=97ccf99e40083148786ae510c60e06c6

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=5d27c08cad45b1ea1fb8d17d5be63273

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back